We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IPAD internet connection

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
IPAD internet connection

I have brought a new ipad to take to europe. can you tell me how do I buy a phone/internet card in europe so that I can get on the internet through my ipad? Does one card do most of europe or do I have to buy a new card in each country? We are travelling to Switzerland, italy and turkey. Would very much appreciate any help as I am not good with I.T. thanks you.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IPAD internet connection

I bought a prepaid micro-SIM card for my iPad at a TIM store in Milan, it was 10 Euros for the card and 9 Euros for 2 GB of data. They pre-activated the card and it worked fine as soon as I installed it. It did not work outside of Italy, but I think you can get different plans which do. If you are going to be in the other countries for very long, it might be worthwhile to buy other SIM cards there.

A tip: if you don't have the SIM card tool that came with the iPad, bring a paper clip along to open the little drawer. You might want to practice this at home so you don't send a micro-SIM card flying across a hotel room. Don't ask me how I know...

Grande Prairie
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IPAD internet connection

There does not seem to be good solutions that work in more than one Country. We puchased a micro sim card with Orange when in France and with Vodafone when in Italy.

We were going to go with Tre in Italy based on reviews I read but could not find one open in Rome on Sunday (airport store was closed when we arrived in the evening Saturday.) Found a Vodafone store in an Auchan mall. Paid 20 euro for sim card with 1G but I think limited to 100meg a day. We needed to wait almost an hour after they put it in before their system rcognized it. We used it for 5 days with no hitches. Returned over 2 weeks later, popped the micro sim back in and used it for 3 more days without a hitch. (We also used wireless where available for bigger uploads and downloads.)

The Orange "Pay lets go" plan was 8 eur for activation with 100mb. We did a top up immediately 15 Eur for 7 days limited to 1Gig. Only used it for 6 days so not sure why when we put it back in 2 weeks later we had one more day of use (maybe part of the original 100 mb as that is good for 31 days.) As we were not fluent in French we found an Orange store to do a top up of another 7 days at that point.

3. Re: IPAD internet connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 16, 2013