We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see places in southern Italy?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Must see places in southern Italy?

Hi everyone,

we are heading to Italy next may. we are starting in Rome for a week and then wanting to travel down the coast of southern Italy to see Naples, Sicily and the Amalfi Coast, mainly by driving.

We want to know after Rome, what is the best route to take? Someone suggested starting in Sicily (by getting a ferry to Palemro) and then travelling up wards back towards Rome. Or is it better to go north to south?

After we have seen all of the above cities we are more than likely going to get a Ferry from Bari to Patras in Greece. We don’t mind having to go from Rome to Bari.

What are the must see places along that route? And would we just stop through these places for the day or stay the night/nights?

And what is accommodation like along there?

Thanks for all your help!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see places in southern Italy?

That's a pretty broad subject - half a country?

Down one side, and back up the other might make sense if you've the time....

For photos from the places we've been, you can try...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Peter

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see places in southern Italy?

Hi Tahliaaa,

Driving isn’t recommended between Salerno and Reggio di Calabria since the A3 is constantly under construction.

You might begin in Sicily on arrival – May is glorious in Sicily!

Fly from Rome to Catania - blu-express, Meridiana, WindJet, and Alitalia fly from Rome Fiumicino to Catania.

Hire a car during your time in Sicily – Avoid driving in Palermo and Catania.

Fly Air One or Alitalia from Palermo to Naples. Take the train from Naples to Rome.

If you were to see Rome first, then take the train to Naples. Take the ferry or fly from Naples to Palermo. You might also consider the Caronte ferry from Salerno to Termini if departing Campania from the Amalfi Coast.

Hire the car departing Palermo. Return the car at Catania’s airport, and fly blu-express from Catania to Bari (not every day of the week).

If you were to drive from Salerno, you might consider seeing Paestum, Maratea, Pizzo, Tropea, Scilla (Chianalea)....

Driving from Rome to Messina Sicily on A3/E45?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4425…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

California
Level Contributor
198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see places in southern Italy?

Other than Sicily, Ischia and Amalfi coast, I am going to Calabria this year as well. Will be staying in Tropea, so you can check that region out as well. But Peter put it very well - half of country is a good answer, i.e. whole south looks interesting to me, I will visit one day the Adriatic coast as well as the heel of Puglia...

Edited: 10:11 am, September 07, 2011
Epping
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see places in southern Italy?

I would suggest Castellabate - on the coast about an hour or so south of the Amalfi Coast

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see places in southern Italy?

Cilento is a lovely area - There are gorgeous beaches along Cilento, south of Salerno where Italians holiday.

Hotels Along the coast, Sicily to Positano:

tripadvisor.com/…27070973

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see places in southern Italy?

Hi everyone,

i really appreciate all the options you have given me!

we are in the middle of putting together an itinerary and the more we look into things, the more difficult it has become to put something together, as everywhere along the south (eg from naples down to sicily) looks worth visiting!

i look forward to all the feedback once we put something more detailed together. and thanks for the advice on Tropea. it looks amazing!

Tahlia.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see places in southern Italy?

Prego Tahliaaa,

You might also enjoy this thread...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187774-i1254-k460…

Good luck with your planning!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Must see places in southern Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 19, 2012