We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

italy, spain, amsterdam

New Jersey
Level Contributor
66 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
italy, spain, amsterdam

hello- my 18 yr old niece is interested in going to the 3 countries mentioned above this summer. i am going to go with her but need some major help organizing such a tour. we are on a low budget but intend on staying at places where we can have our own bathroom. we intend on taking the train and want to do this all in 2 weeks. i have done the european tour but it was 13 yrs ago and i don't remember how i planned it then!

ideally we would like to go to rome and florence, barcelona and anywhere in either or both countries on the coast. amsterdam is the easy part! i really need help in the getting to and from area!

any suggestions are most appreciated!

thanks- rachel :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: italy, spain, amsterdam

Italy, Spain and Holland are a long way apart. It would take a very long time to travel between them by train. I suggest you look into cheap airlines.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: italy, spain, amsterdam

Flights Amsterdam to Rome www.transavia.com www.romeinfo.com

Train Rome to Florence www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

www.visitflorence.com

Florence to Pisa airport transfer www.terravision.eu

Flights Pisa to Barcelona www.vueling.com www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Stazione Termini
Stazione Termini
4,121 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: italy, spain, amsterdam

You might also try bidding on Priceline.com for hotels - not sure what you consider budget, but we've booked 4 star hotels in Amsterdam and Florence for $60 to $80 a night.

I agree that flights are the way to go. I believe vueling also flies between Rome and Barcelona as well, and Meridia is another airline to check out, depending on the order you decide to visit the cities. I know they have an Amsterdam- Florence route.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,832 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: italy, spain, amsterdam

Budget airlines like Vueling are what you should go with instead of trains. They are likely to be cheaper and definitely more efficient if you look for the fares.

If you are flying, visiting all these cities are possible. If you would up taking the train, consider going to places that make more sense logically in terms of transport. For example, somewhere in southern France and Northern Italy makes more sense than Amsterdam.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
5. Re: italy, spain, amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 06, 2011