We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

Melbourne
Level Contributor
109 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

My teenage daughter and I are headed to Rome, Florence and Milan for two weeks in December.

1. Please offer suggestions on how to divide the 14 days.

2. Also, Id be grateful for any tips on how to cope with the weather and things to do and avoid.

3. Would also like to hear from people who have successfully rented apartments through some of the professional organisations that list here in Trip Advisor.

Cheers

Rosemary

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

a couple of days in milan are ok...then enjoy the sun (never seen in milan in winter) and move to tuscany (florence, or maybe a smaller town...pisa and siena are univerity towns...better for your daughter because full of young people)...stay there one week, having daytrips around...then 4-5days in rome...the days before christmas rome is more wonderful than ever!!

apartments listings here on ta-flipkey is really good: you'll find what you see and what is written...

cheers

silvia

Melbourne
Level Contributor
109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

thanks Silvia.

I thought just 2 nights in Milan would be enough.

Cheers

R

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

Both Florence and Rome are a lot warmer in thwe decenber than Milan High/low in deg F

Rome 55/39

Florence 51/36

Milna 44/26

wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayIntlNORMS.asp…

I have been to Rome in Dec and Feb and Flooence in Feb. There is more than enough to do each for a week.

I rented this great apt in Florence.

http://www.residenzailcarmine.com/e_5.htm

we stayed in one of the garden apts. they took my credit card bopth for the deposit and for the remainder of the lodging rent.

I have used this agency (Rome-accomodation.net) 3 times in Rome

rome-accommodation.net/apartments-rome.xhtml

Melbourne
Level Contributor
109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

Thank you for all this.

Ill check out the links when I get round to the Rome leg of the trip. I think we will stay south and have just 2 nights in Milan.

Cheers

Rosemary

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

2 nights in Milan is plenty! I did a mother-daughter trip for about 20 days some years back, and we saw Florence, Siena, Rome, Venice and Sorrento. It was just the best time we have ever had together!

Milan, we have visited several times and definately agree that 2 nights really is plenty.

The rest of your time equally divided between Rome and Florence would be well spent. Rome is lovely at Christmas time, with lots of Christmas things to see. After Christmas lunch in Italy, it is traditional to go for a stroll through the streets. There is a great Christmas market in Piazza Navona well worth a look!

Pack a long, down coat that is light but also water-proof. A pair of boots that are comfortable but elegent enough to wear out for dinner at night as well as a pair of comfortable walking shoes. You can buy cashmere tights at the Calzedonia stores that are great for keeping your legs warm.

If you bring basic clothes that you can wear several times over, with different undershirts that you can wash each day, bring bright jewellery to jazz yourself up but takes up no room in your suitcase! And don't forget the most important rule is not to pack more than you can lug up and down stairs on your own!

We're so excited for you - have a great time!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

Hi

Thanks for your enthusiastic response. Love the tip about jazzing up the wardrobe - had thought of scarves and berets and will now add some bright jewellery too.

Im getting more excited the more I read and know :)

Cheers

Rosemary

7. Re: Mother/Daughter trip to Italy in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:54 am, March 27, 2011