We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

During the last week of February we will be in eastern Italy for 4 days and can get a rental. Where's the best place to go? We were looking at Cinque Terre but many places are closed. Also looking at Lucca and Florence?

Anybody have any suggestions where to spend 4 days? Multiple places? We are flying into Genoa. Thanks.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,663 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

4 days =1 city. I don't think Cinque Terre is a good idea in winter.

Do you ski???

Do you want to be in a city?

I wonder why you are flying into Genoa?

IF you haven't been to Italy before then you could easily spend the time in Florence and if you get tired of the city take a bus to a smaller town.

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

No, we don't ski. We're flying into Genoa for work so we'll be driving out of there. Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

Venice

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

Sorry, I meant western earlier. Didn't want to drive across the country to Venice. Thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

Florence is really your best bet. And don't drive: Trains get you there just as fast or faster, and a car is worse than useless in Florence, what with parking costs and traffic-restricted zones that you can't enter without being fined. Rent a car for a day trip, if you want.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

Absolutely Florence .. I spent 5 days there in 2008 and can't wait to go back. Agree with earlier poster - take the train, driving in Italian cities is not for visitors and parking ... well you will see when you get there !!

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

Thanks for the posts. Do you think I should stay one night in Cinque Terre or just every night in Florence? Lucca?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

The Cinque Terre at the end of February are as dead as the proverbial doornail.

Every time you move, you lose at least half a day. If you want to go to Lucca, do it as a day trip from Florence. You can take a train back to Florence as late as 10:30, without the hassle of packing, unpacking, getting to and from the station, etc.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

Florence -- and I wouldn't drive -- take the train

and if you want to vary it, take a day tripi to Siena -- although that is so little time, I'd stick with Florence if you have an interest in art

in winter cities work better than rural or village spots -- and the Cinque Terre is definitely a summer destination

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 Days in Italy - where should we go?

Ditto - Florence is your best bet in FEB....CT is beautiful but not worth going in Feb.

EM.