We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Critique My Itinerary

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Please Critique My Itinerary

Scenario - First trip to Italy in September to celebrate a special anniversary. We will be there from the 5th - 25th. We have 20 nights from the day we land in Rome until the day we take the train to Munich. We will travel by train or bus except for having a car in Tuscany.

Wish list - Rome, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como, Venice and Verona. Focus on historical sights and countryside. We are fairly active and like to wander around enjoying where we are. We tend to go at a relatively fast pace.

Two possible itineraries -

#1 Rome 3 nights, Tuscany 7 nights, CT 3 nights, Lake Como 3 nights, Venice 2 nights, Verona 2 nights. Train to Munich. We could split the Tuscany time into 2 or 3 locations. I was thinking 4 nights at an Agriturismo near Siena, 2 nights in northern Tuscany and 1 night in Florence, Pick up car in Orvieto or when we arrive in Siena and drop off upon arrival in Florence. Or we could do 3 nights in northern Tuscany and day trip to Florence.

In Tuscany we would like to do day trips to San Gimignano, Volterra, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Lucca and whatever else fits in there, I realize we may not be able to see all of them. We do want some time in Siena, Florence and Lucca for sure.

#2 Rome 3 nights, Tuscany 7nights (see #1), CT 3 nights, Venice 3 nights, Verona 4 nights. We would do day trips from Verona, such as Lake Garda.

Please let me know what you think of both of these. I am trying to find a balance between seeing everything we want to see and not being on a train all the time. I am open to suggestions.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary

I would drop the CT to two nights and add the other into Rome. The hike in the CT from the villages is a lovely one day stroll -- one day is plenty of time to wander, visit each village at a leisurely place.

3 nights for Rome is just 2 days -- and one night in Florence is a waste of time. if you have so little interest in Florence either skip it or make it a day trip from Siena by bus. I'd spend at least 3 nights there -- but you appear not to be interested in Florentine art -- but one night is just the annoyance of moving lodgings etc for no real time in Florence -- so add days, bag it altogether or do it as a day trip from Siena

you might make Siena your base for southern Tuscany -- there are several hotels within the walls that have free parking and it is such a great town for evening strolls, a drink in the campo, restaurants etc.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary

Ditto graceh9

Spent 5 days in Florence in 2008, just not enough time, the birthplace of the Renaissance the churches, the museums, the buildings, the food.... One day?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary

Thank you for the fast replies!

The agriturismo I am looking at is just a couple of km. outside the walls of Siena. We should be able to spend a day there and also the evenings after we do day trips to other hill towns. The place I am thinking about in northern Tuscany is near Vinci. It looks like Florence is closer to there. We could spend 3 nights there and day trip to Florence from there. We could spend 3 nights there.

My husband and I both have agreed that 3 nights (= 2.5 days) in Rome is as much time as we want to spend there. If we somehow end up with an extra day to kill we could add it to Rome, but I would like more than 2 nights/1 day in CT.

I was checking the train schedules and it looks like it will take us at least 5 hours to get from CT - Lake Como, and about the same to get from Lake Como to Venice. I am torn about going there. I would really like to see it, but that is by far the longest traveling we would be doing.

This is so hard to decide how to best use our time. I wish we had longer there!

Edited: 6:41 pm, January 09, 2010
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary

Not enough time is ALWAYS the problem in Italy, that is why I keep going back. Rome is called the Eternal City, how about Italy as the Eternal Country........

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary

by staying 2 km outside the walls of Siena you make it difficult to enjoy the virtues of Siena -- you are unlikely to walk it at night -- and there you are stuck in the boons every evening instead of enjoying a compari and soda on the Campo -- but then I love Siena

just two cents here

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary

I thought it would be better to be outside the walls and away from the ZTL since we will have a car there. I have heard from others who have stayed there that they just take a cab back in the evening or park outside the walls.

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary

i agree the 7 days in tuscany and i'll split it in 3-4 days in the north area (pisa-lucca) and 3-4 in the south (siena or hills)

if you need help about my area (pisa-lucca), please let me know

cheers

silvia

8. Re: Please Critique My Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 10, 2010