We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

Minneapolis
4 posts
Save Topic
What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

We are going to Rome for christmas and we wanted to go to Malta as well, has anyone advice on how to go about getting there? Flying? Train, then boat? Thank you so much for your help!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

Unless you want to lose a great deal of time getting there, fly. Air Malta would be an obvious choice; Alitalia/Air One probably also flies the route.

Minneapolis
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

Thanks, I figured the same. I was womdering if there was a boat or ferry of sorts, if we were to fly into palermo. Or, maybe it's just best to fly directly. It's just the flights I'm seeing right now are really expensive ( for some reason) so I thought if we got close and took a boat?? I wasn't sure if that was an option. On that, have you used Air Malta, or ryan air, and if so, are they okay to deal with? I mean, is it What you see is what you get?

Thanks for your help :)

L

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

Ryanair doesn't fly Rome-Malta. I flew Air Malta umpteen years ago; it got me there, and it got me back.

I very much doubt that it would be any cheaper to fly to Palermo, dawdle through the Sicilian landscape to Pozzallo and take a ferry to Malta.

I'm seeing fares as low as 69.50 Euro one way in late December with Air Malta.

Minneapolis
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

Rome to Air Malta> 69.50?

I'm on it... Thanks!

Is it best to get a 3 day rail pass, ahead of time, or just buy as we go? We're trying to do Rome, Naples, and IF we can fit in an overnight trip to Venice ( via airline) And of course Malta ( we have 3 weeks) So do recommend just doing airline tickets, or rail? Or both? Thank you for your advice!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

It is never a good idea to purchase a rail pass for Italy. Italian rail fares are cheap when compared with the rest of Western Europe unless you insist on purchasing your tickets from Rail Europe or EuRail as it is also called. Rail Europe is a travel agency/rail ticket reseller and their fares include a pretty hefty commission for their services. Additionally, they don't post every route or even every train on every route. For the official rail fares go to www.trenitalia.com and try to stay on the Italian page. If you choose English as your language or the US as your location, you'll be bounced right to the Rail Europe page. BTW, the reservation fees required for the fast trains are included in the trenitalia fares, but are extra if you travel on a EuRail pass, and they can be quite costly.

It's difficult to purchase tickets from trenitalia online because the web page often won't accept credit cards issued outside Europe, but you can try your American Express card. Sometimes they work. Do not try your Visa card, They almost never work. For every person who posts here that they have been able to use their non-Italian card to buy a ticket, there are a few hundred who couldn't. Most of us regular train travellers just buy our tickets once we're in country. You can purchase tickets at a manned station or in any travel agency showing the Italian National Rail (Ferrovia dello Stato) logo, with no surcharge. I always travel second class - it's more than adequately comfortable, it arrives at the same time, and it's cheaper. It's a no-brainer for me.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

Sorry, I forgot to add that you can go to www.maltairport.com for information on all the airlines that fly there. When I last went I flew R/T from Rome on Al Italia. I stayed in the Duncan Guesthouse in Marsaxlokk, a small fishing village on the South end of the island. It's not party central like St. Julians, but we had a wonderful, restful, time with all the important elements - good food, good local wine, and great company.

7. Re: What is the best way to get to Malta from Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 10, 2010