We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary, I leave on Thursday!

Ann Arbor, MI
7 posts
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary, I leave on Thursday!

My wife and I leave for Rome on Thursday and have nothing planned for our two weeks there. Spontaneous sounded good 3 months ago, now we are worried. We plan to use the rail system throughout and have come up with a guideline itinerary. We are young professionals and want to enjoy the history and sites of Rome/Venice and the relaxing/adventure of hiking Mt. Vesuvius in Pompeii and the towns of Cinque Terre.

Does this make sense?

18th: Arrive Rome at 10am

19th: Rome

20th: Rome, take overnight train to Venice (leave at 10:30pm)

21st: Venice arrive at 5:30am

22nd: Venice

23rd: Morning head to Cinque Terre

24th: Cinque Terre hiking

25th: Morning leave to Sienna/Tuscany

26th: Sienna/Tuscany by day, head to Sorrento

27th: Sorrento/Naples and day trip to Pompeii for hiking

28th: Sorrento/Naples (overnight here or head to Rome for last night)

29th: Depart Rome 12:45pm

28th: Sorrento

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary, I leave on Thursday!

Well, that's a lot of moving around. In my opinion, you'll be spending too much of your time there schlepping to train stations and staring out train windows, rather than actually experiencing and enjoying Italy. You could stay longer in any of these destinations without becoming bored. But different strokes for different folks....

The trip from Tuscany to the Naples region will take a while. To get to Sorrento you have to take a commuter train from Naples called the Circumvesuviana, a trip that takes about an hour. Since your main interest in this region appears to be Pompeii and Vesuvius, consider just staying in Naples so as to avoid yet another hour on a train.

Alternatively, stay in Sorrento, cross Cinque Terre off your list, and devote another day or two to the region. There is a lot of wonderful hiking to be done in the hills around Sorrento and the nearby Amalfi Coast.

That's my .02 euros worth. Have fun.

Ann Arbor, MI
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary, I leave on Thursday!

Thanks!

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary, I leave on Thursday!

I think could be better, after rome, to stay in neaples/sorrento (no more than 3-4 days), ten travel to tuscany, rent a car for 3-4 days and discover florence, lucca, pisa and siena, then have a one day trip (by train) to cinque terre, then train to venice and back hope...

if you need help about the tuscany region, tell me...

regards

silvia

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,192 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary, I leave on Thursday!

It’s never efficient use of time to split a destination as you have with Rome – You waste time traveling back and forth to the airport.

On arrival, take the fast train from Rome to Naples.

Then fly from Naples to Venice – Intra-Italian flights are fast and inexpensive. Take the direct Curreri Viaggi bus from Sorrento to the airport in Naples.

easyJet offers low-budget flights from Naples to Venice.

Then see Tuscany, the Cinque Terre and end in Rome.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Ann Arbor, MI
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary, I leave on Thursday!

Ok, I think we will take Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii off the list so as to spend an extra day in Cinque Terre and Tuscany.

That would be:

Rome - 3 days

Venice - 2 days

Cinque Terre - 3 days

Tuscany - 3 days

Depart from Rome

That seems a bit more doable right? I'm finally understanding the train situation. Overnight from Rome to Venice to save time/money on a hotel. Venice to CT looks easy.

My question lies in getting from CT to somewhere in Tuscany and how to get around Tuscany. Any help? I leave in three days!!!

6. Re: Help with Itinerary, I leave on Thursday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 14, 2010