We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol in public?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol in public?

Is it lawful to open and consume alcohol in public places in Italy? Can I open a bottle of wine or beer in a park or town square and lawfully consume it with a picnic lunch?

As a lawyer I am hesitant to give legal advice myself but I have not been able to find an answer to this elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol in public?

Yes you can drink wine or beer in a park.

You cant get drunk or bother other people when you are drunk !

But im sure you won't !

enjoy your staying in italy !

pincopallo_it@yahoo.it

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol in public?

There's your answer from an Italian.

But be aware that there are sometimes wheels within wheels. Rome periodically bans the sale of alcohol after a certain hour in other than licensed premises in an effort to cut down on binge drinking in a few places that have become notorious for it. Rome also periodically bans the consumption of food and alcohol in, on or near public monuments. Venice has had a ban for some time on the consumption of food and alcohol except in parks; it is strictly enforced in St. Mark's Square and not very strictly enforced in other places in Venice.

So while it is lawful to open and consume alcohol in public places in Italy, local bylaws sometimes try to prevent it from getting out of hand. You'd always be safe to have wine with your picnic in a park; it would be less safe to assume that you could do so in any given piazza.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
31,067 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol in public?

Don't try a picnic in St. Mark's Square in Venice.

Mentioned in this post
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
31,067 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,761 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol in public?

I have wonderful memories of the meal the night before Palio in Siena where 800 sat down in the lee of the Cathedral to dinner, with wine of course. And that was just one of ten dinners of similar size that night, all out in the open.

Also in Venice, buying picnic food at the gorgeous deli in the market area, asking if he had chilled prosecco, which of course he did, and eating our picnic in the gardens with a glass of the prosecco each. Wonderful.

Just be seemly about it.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
5. Re: Alcohol in public?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, October 21, 2009