We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

Chippewa Falls
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

We are travelling to Italy in 3 weeks, and would like to carry empty water bottles with us to fill up with tap water whenever possible to avoid spending $$ on bottled water.

Is the tap water/fountain water safe to drink? Not sure if we should avoid it like we had to in Mexico, etc.....

Thanks!

Liz

Vicenza, Italy
Level Contributor
81 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

A liter of water is only .30 to .50 cent euro if you by your water at the supermarket and not in the bars.

The tap water has a higher level of calcium and tends to case kindey stones in some persons if they have a history of stones and drink long term. Other wise it is as safe as any stateside water. Most water points in most cities are tested and will be marked if non potable.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

Most tap water is probably safe but if it isn't you'll probably only be really sick for about 3 days...

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

I feel it was pretty safe and the water out of the taps was refreshing, that said it did not agree with me personally like Mexico, it was like I took a laxative(sorry for that)but my husband and others didn't have a problem. I had to succumb to only drinking bottle water and watch what I drank the whole time I was in Italy. It was esp hard when we were at Pompei as it was hot and I was limited to drinking almost nothing till we found at place that sold water.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

We just got back and none of us got ill from drinking the water. But even though we drank tap water once in awhile, because it was so cheap, we usually bought water in the super markets. Like here, the super markets always had sales going on and for bottled water we usually paid between 27 euro cents and 50 euro cents for a 6 pack of 1 ltr bottles. They almost give it away at those prices.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,448 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

If anyone thinks they know of a case of a problem with water in Italy, (well, say Northern Italy) they should be specific. I have never heard of anyone having any problem. We have drunk tap water in Venice, Florence, Lucca, many smaller towns, with no problem.

There is an interesting option in Lucca - maybe elsewhere also - there are free running public fountains where the locals go to fill large water bottles to take home. I asked about this and was told it was water coming straight from mountain aquafers untreated and was "better" than local water.

But at any rate, at least in the north, don't worry about it.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

that's right, you probably won't get sick, and if by some chance your intestinal track encounters a contaminant it's never seen before, it probably won't actually kill you.

7. Re: Is the drinking water safe in Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, October 05, 2009