We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

perillo tours

Robinson...
Level Contributor
10 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
perillo tours

My husband & I are planning to go to Italy next year for our 20th anniversary & we are interested in using Perillo tours. What are the hotels like that they use-3star, 4 star or 5 star??? How about the meals??? Do you feel rushed??? Do you have time to relax??? Do you have time to take pictures????

Clark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
378 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: perillo tours

I am not a big fan of Perillo tours or any tour for that matter. My wife and I took a Perillo tour in 2004 and were not happy with it at all. It did have its pros. Most of the hotels were very nice and in great locations, I would say 4 star. Except in Florence, a last minute change was made and we were put in a modern hotel on a busy intersection, far outside of town. Another pro was not having to worry about carrying luggage around, they did it all for you. But thats about all I can say good about the Perillo tour. The bus was not comfortable and packed so tight, luggage had to be stored in the aisles, I'm sure thats not the norm. You are not rushed and given plenty of time to relax and take pictures. But keep in mind many of the sights that they visit, are just "drive bys", so you really dont get to see everything up close. Even on the walking tours, we passed beautiful churches without going inside, but were taken to a leather shop so they could try and sell us expensive coats and bags. But the worst was the food. Everyone has different tastes, but in my opinion, it was terrible. I grew up in New York City in an Italian family for whatever thats worth. I would compare the food to Olive Garden restaurants or Macaroni Grill. The best meals were the ones we had on our own. We have traveled many times to Italy since and never had a bad meal so I know the food there is great. The food and most things, on a Perillo tour are geared towards the american taste. Like i said the tour can have its good points, if you just want to write a check and have everything taken care of for you, and just want to SEE Italy, but not experience it, then a Perillo tour is the way to go.

Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: perillo tours

I've never gone on a Perillo Tour. But last year, I took my daughter to Europe for a graduation present (worked for me!).

She wanted to see London, Paris, Rome. And I wanted to visit family in Northern Italy. We ended up on a Trafalgar Tour from London to Paris. Could have gone all the way to Rome with them (which would have been easier!), but somehow, I missed that.

What I liked about it was that you can pick and choose what you want to do. In other words you have as much "free" time as you want. You pay for the tours you want to take. For example, in Paris we didn't want to do the Louvre tour. So we walked the Champs d'Elysee. Nothing lost. Our tour guide was awesome, she told us where to pick up a picnic lunch to be eaten at the Eiffel Tower and where to get wine with screw tops (for those of us who would've liked an unexpensive happy hour, but didn't think to bring a cork screw)!

If you've never been to a city, I would recommend this company. I really did like the options available and would reccomend them to anyone.

Good Luck!

Vicky

P.S. We did have the 3 vs 4 vs 5 star hotel option. London was crazy, because for our "tour" it seemed all we did was pick up people from different hotels! Paris was much better, but I can say that we stayed in the Hilton (5) but next door was the (4) and I thought it was just as nice!

3. Re: perillo tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 30, 2009