We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best luggage size?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
420 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Best luggage size?

Hi all you experts,

We are traveling to Italy for 14 days in May, Venice, Florence, Siena, Rome - does anyone have advice on the best size suitcase to bring? I usually travel with a 25 inch roller suitcase, not too stuffed or heavy so as to have space for purchases along the way. I prefer to carry one consolidated piece of luggage rather than two or more. Do you think this size will be too cumbersome for trains and stairs etc?

Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best luggage size?

25" is about the upper limit of suitcase size that I would want to wrangle on trains. It will fit in the racks above the seats and maybe between the seat backs if it isn't to puffy. As to weight, make sure you can lift it easily above your head to get it in those racks.

I used a 22" roller and a smaller carryon that would attach to the roller bag when I was just walking. But I had to separate them going up and down stairs in train stations and getting off and on trains. I would have done better with one bag.

I just got back from Vegas (this is an airport comment, nothing about Vegas in particular) and was horrified at the amount of luggage I saw people taking. One family (mom, dad, two small kids) had 4 ginormous roller bags. The kids could have fit in in the bags. I can't imagine where they were going on spring holidays that would require all the luggage.

TAB

2. Re: Best luggage size?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 22, 2009