We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Italy lakes trip questions.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,077 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
North Italy lakes trip questions.

Hello everybody on Italian forum.

I'm beginning to plan a week long trip to the North of Italy in Summer 19, and I've got a few questions:

Is there a name to this area, I'm not aware of?

The trip will be scheduled in early August 19, how warm this area is, normally? Summer 18 should be considered as an exception, everywhere in Europe.

Assuming, we'll be landing at Bergamo Airport, is there a good spot to explore the lakes from, geographically speaking? We wouldn't wish to drive longer than an hour each day.

Our preferred type of accommodation - self catering cottage. Are these operating on weekly basis only, during the high season? What's common exchange day? Are there any reputable agencies, knowledgeable members may recommend?

Is there anything I should know, but I didn't ask? Please feel free to enrich me.

Thank you very much. Your input shall be highly appreciated.

Yuri

19 replies to this topic
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,077 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

Bump!

Yuri.

Cremona, Italy
Level Contributor
467 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

Hello fellow traveler

> Is there anything I should know, but I didn't ask? Please feel free to enrich me.

Car is the less convenient way to travel in Italy, due to high cost of fuel and motorways, prohibition to drive into virtually any town center ( because of ZTLs) and unforgiving (though well-signalled) speed and ZTL cameras, which issue fines that will chase you even after one year of your return home

If you still fancy driving after all of this, read what you need to know here: http://driventoit.blogspot.com/

> Assuming, we'll be landing at Bergamo Airport, is there a good spot to explore the lakes from, geographically speaking?

Assuming you'll be taking trains and ferries to explore the lakes, the obvious geographical base is Milan's Central Station, from where you can reach Lake Maggiore, Lake Como and Lake Garda with a direct train.

The smaller Lake Iseo can be reached with a change of train in Brescia, or directly from Bergamo by bus.

If you decide to stay in Milan, you don't need to stay exactly in the Central Station area: since the underground is very efficient, any place nearby an underground station on the lines M3 (yellow) and M2 (green) will be fine.

> The trip will be scheduled in early August 19, how warm this area is, normally?

It will still be comfortably warm, at least during the day.

Hope this helps

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

Hi Yuri,

Are you proposing to stay in one place and explore the different lakes from that one base?

If so, that’s not a good plan, imho.

The Northern Italian lakes cover a very large area - Lake Garda alone is split between three separate provinces: Verona, Brescia and Trentino - and is HUGE!

The ‘main’ big lakes - Maggiore, Como and Garda - are far apart and, imho, need to be visited for at the very least 4-5 days each (and if day-trips to any of the ‘smaller’ lakes - Iseo, Orta, Lugano etc. - are wanted, then longer)

As for accommodations.. you need to decide where you want to stay first..

Oh - and the weather is likely to be hot with the chance of thunderstorms.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

<<I'm beginning to plan a week long trip to the North of Italy in Summer 19, >>

Hi, if this trip is just one week then you may have to decide on one lake, possibly two, but to try to see lakes Maggiore, Como and Garda is too much and will mean a lot of travelling around and not much relaxation.

You could easily spend a week at Lake Garda alone. The lake covers a large area. The far north is in Trentino Alto Adige, the western shore and most of the southern shore are in Lombardy and the eastern shore is in the Veneto.

If you are landing at Bergamo you can reach the south of Lake Garda by train with a change en route. Two towns at the south of the lake - Desenzano del Garda and Peschiera del Garda - are on the Milan/Verona/Venice line.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,077 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

Thank you very much for your helpful replies. Now I see how wrong my attitude was altogether.

1. I'll give up on hiring a car idea.

2. I'll plan to stick to geographically compact area. Where would you suggest we should go, in order to get a taste of Italy?

I don't like staying in Milan. Assuming, I'll cut the trip to the 5 days long only. Which little town would you recommend, to serve us as a single base for daily excursions? Which lake/lakes, we should explore?

Without a car, we'd switch to the B&B or hotel style accommodations. Any suggestions on the matter?

Than you very much.

Yuri.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

You need to read up on the lakes - they are all different - see what appeals to you..

I would advise you to stay at one of the lakes and sight-see from there. Your options are endless.

Have a little root around the TA forums for each of the ‘big’ lakes - there are lots of discussions about what each has to offer..

Just for example - you could stay in Stresa at Lake Maggiore and visit the Borromean Islands, other lakeside towns and the delightful Lake Orta.

Or you could stay at a village in the beautiful mid-lake area of Lake Como (Varenna, Bellagio or Menaggio) and visit some of the wonderful Villas & gardens as well as the other villages - and maybe also nearby Lake Lugano.

Or perhaps Lake Garda might suit you? There are many lovely towns and villages to stay/visit as well as castles, cable car to Monte Baldo, Dolomites trip, watersports etc.

There is much, much more to explore than what I’ve mentioned - as I said, you need to do some research, since nobody here knows the first thing about what might appeal to you..

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,077 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

Thank you. I'll buy a travel guide book about the lakes, and I'll prepare my homework first.

Yuri.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

Hi Yuri, will this be a family holiday? I recognise your name from the UK forums and seem to remember that you travel with your daughters.

There are several threads comparing one lake with another, these are just some examples:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187…

London
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

"Is there a name to this area, I'm not aware of?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Italy

Italy is made of regions, there are lakes all over northern Italy. The big ones are Lake Maggiore (in Piedmont), Lake Como (in Lombardy) and Lake Garda (in Veneto).

Sometimes you hear things like "Lake District" or "Lake Region" or "Lake Country", but they are just marketing made-up names. Also there are lakes all over Italy, including in Central and Southern Italy.

Edited: 6:21 am, August 17, 2018
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Italy lakes trip questions.

<<and Lake Garda (in Veneto).>>

Just for clarification, Lake Garda is located where three regions meet, Veneto, Lombardy and Trentino Alto Adige. It can be very confusing for would-be visitors trying to find the correct region for posting questions!

Reply to: North Italy lakes trip questions.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted