We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

We took the night train from Vienna to Venice. We had a sleeper cabin. We locked the door and went to sleep. Sometime during the night a man with access to our room unlocked the door and grabbed my travel bag containing my passport, credit cards, etc.

The next morning the train security searched for the bag to no avail. Passengers in another cabin were also robbed. It became clear that this happens frequently and the train authority has done little to stop it. How disappointing. We filed a police report in Venice which turned out to be a good thing since the report helped us replace my passport and change our plane reservations. There is no American embassy in Venice so we had to leave a day early to fly to Rome.

They say the best revenge is living well and we still had a great time in Venice and on our unscheduled trip to Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,665 Reviews
from $73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,057 Reviews
from $106.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,933 Reviews
from $57.90*
7 replies to this topic
New Windsor
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

They let you fly to Rome without a passport? A daughter on her honeymoon in Paris last year had her passport, cc, and other things stolen and they wouldn't let her fly to Rome to pick up a scheduled cruise? She had to wait 3 days in Paris for the US Embassy get her a replacement passport. Maybe because she was flying from France to Italy and you were going from Venice to Rome?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,774 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

Venice and Rome are in the same country.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

Hi

Thanks for warning us about that.

Eddie

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

What a bummer Dorothy! But glad it didn't keep you down from having a great vacation.

It really makes you think twice about taking an overnight sleeper train :-(

Level Contributor
1,213 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

I was horrified to read this, very saddened to hear it seems to be common. We took the Vienna-Venice train last month, one night after taking the Cologne-Vienna night train, deluxe sleeper cabins botyh times, and now I feel very fortunate that we escaped such an unpleasant ordeal. Glad you bounced back and still had a good time

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
CA
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

I've not heard of anyone wearing a money belt to bed, but it is a common mistake to keep passports, CCs and other valuable items in a bag or backpack, not hidden away under clothing and out of reach. Also there should be a copy of the passport.

p b
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
397 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train

Using the night trains often it has been standard practise to wear money belt to bed it's no great discomfort but also to secure valuables of all types up aloft on the highest rack , in addition take elastic bungees as I call them , basically the roof rack luggage securing ropes , wrap them around door handle and secure them as you can .

Having said that doors are changing and punch pad access and other types are being fitted , glad you did not let it ruin holiday , there are words for these sort of people , none of them polite .

Reply to: Robbed on Vienna to Venice Night Train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted