We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM withdrawal limits.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
ATM withdrawal limits.

Can anyone tell me what the maximum bank withdrawal limit from an ATM is in Milan and Genoa?

I realise that different banks may have different withdrawal limits. Any suggestions on the best banks, ie. lowest ATM fees, highest withdrawal limits?

Trying to work out whether to simply use my debit card or get a Money card, which I've had trouble with in the past.

Thanks,

Gez.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,682 Reviews
from $73.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,076 Reviews
from $106.80*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,944 Reviews
from $58.10*
11 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,289 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

There are no limits on how much you can take out in a day but most banks will limit each transaction to around 300 euros. You set your daily limit at your own bank. Mine is set high because I travel for business. You may want to leave yours low in case your card is compromised you won't be wiped out.

Donna

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

Agree with Donna, first thing you should do is talk to your bank as this is more about your account and the daily limits set by them, rather than the local ATMs you’re going to be withdrawing from.

It’s also good to let them know you’re going to be abroad, if you don’t usually travel a lot, they might block your card when they see it being used halfway across the world.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

Unless the ATM is low on cash it might limit the number so as to serve as many customers as possible. It has happened only twice in 7 trips. Just go to the next ATM

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,811 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

All the pre-loaded travel money cards sold in Australia are not a good idea, because of high fees and/or poor exchange rate. Typically, it costs around 6% to load funds onto a card.

To get cash overseas, open a Citibank Plus bank account, which comes with a Mastercard debit card that has no overseas ATM withdrawal fees and an excellent exchange rate. For larger purchases, get a 28 Degrees Mastercard which has no fees for overseas purchases (in person or over the Internet) and again an excellent exchange rate. ING now offers debit and credit cards that can be used with no foreign transaction fees, but with monthly minimum transaction requirements. All these cards have no account fees.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,781 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

Unless it has changed recently, banks in Italy do not charge you to use their ATMs, (bancomats) and if they do, you will be told of the fee before completing, so you can stop the transaction and go to a different bank.

Any fees will be imposed by your own bank, usually 2-3% of the transaction, plus a dollar fee, often $2.50 but maybe $5. Find out before you go. Your bank's website should tell you.

So do as Nick suggests if you have time. These accounts can usually be opened on-line, though you may have to verify yourself at a post office.

When using a bancomat you can press a button to transact in English, so no confusion there.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

Thanks everyone for your helpful information. I've been looking at the 28 Degrees Mastercard as the Moneycard from Commbank and others just look too expensive. Their only advantage is in locking in the exchange rate but then that's always a gamble.

Gez.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,085 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

The 28 degrees Mastercard sound slike a good solution for you. I don't know how good pre loaded money cards are in Australia, but if sydneynick says they are not good, then I believe that. I know that I consider them poor here in the UK.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

Thanks again. I believe that money cards throughout the world are all franchised to the one company in the US. Maybe I'm wrong.

Gez.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,085 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

I don't know, to be honest. Maybe someone can confirm this or otherwise?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,811 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM withdrawal limits.

>> I believe that money cards throughout the world are all franchised to the one company in the US<<

This is nonsense. The travel cards sold in Australia and USA are very poor value, but posts in the UK forums suggest that some sold in the UK are quite good value. But the cards can be branded as Visa or Mastercard, which are separate companies.

Reply to: ATM withdrawal limits.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted