We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

5 posts
Save Topic
FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

I will be arriving at Terminal 3 from the US via Delta and going to Catania on Alitalia from Terminal 1(single itinerary flight). I also have a single itinerary return trip from CTA to FCO at Terminal 1 and then take Delta to the US from terminal 3. Given recent changes made to the checking counter for Alitalia as well as Delta, I would preferably try to get the e-boarding passes from my Delta app. for both the domestic(FCO to CTA and vice versa) as well (Atlanta, USA to FCO and vice versa). I will have no checked luggage. On arrival to Italy from the US, my layover is 2hr45min and on return it is 1hr45min. Will there be an issue in making the transfer? How much time will I spend on my arrival for passport control and also during departure? I guess I won't have to do security clearance on the transit to T1 fromT3 inside the secured area and same way on my return flight.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Delta Florence
Hotel Delta Florence
407 Reviews
Calenzano, Italy
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,682 Reviews
from $73.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,076 Reviews
from $106.80*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,944 Reviews
from $58.10*
8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

If Delta has sold you these journeys on a single ticket each way, then obviously the airline thinks the connections are possible.

In both directions, your luggage will be checked through to the final destination and you will not see it in Rome. Even if you do not use an app, you would get both boarding passes when you initially check in. You will be entering of leaving the Schengen area at Rome, so you will have to go through Passport Control in both directions.

I think you have more than enough time.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Delta Florence
Hotel Delta Florence
407 Reviews
Calenzano, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

Well technically I bought tickets from a travel agent (receipt is from Delta on single confirmation number). Have you gone through FCO airport recently?

My main concern is passport control and security lines.

Edited: 9:45 am, June 08, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Delta Florence
Hotel Delta Florence
407 Reviews
Calenzano, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

I think you should be fine on your journey to Catania as long as your first flight is on time and doesn't experience any significant delays (ie - thunderstorms in ATL).

If it were me traveling, I would be a little concerned with your return trip. 1hr 45 min is cutting it close and really leaves no room for error with any delays. The single ticket / confirmation number should work to your advantage - Delta will know where you are originating and can track your progress. And if you miss your connection, there is a second non-stop to ATL so hopefully you are on the first flight of the day and wouldn't have to wait for flights the following day. Also, since both flights were booked on a single ticket, they would probably waive any ticket change fees if you get stuck in a line somewhere in the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Hotel Delta Florence
Hotel Delta Florence
407 Reviews
Calenzano, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

I was looking at Catania to Rome flight and noticed that it usually arrives a little early consistently (like 8 to 9 minutes on average early). I guess I would also get acquainted with the transfer between T1 and T3 on my first trip. People were saying on other posts that FCO transfer typically takes 10 minutes if I walk. What I am concerned about is how long would passport control take at FCO during my return trip. I hope I would not have to go through security again at FCO once I am cleared for it at Catania.

Mentioned in this post
Catania
Catania
Sicily, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

You may find this website useful:

adr.it/web/…pax-fco-flight-connections

There were a few posts / threads last month that stated incoming passport control had large lines / queues and the wait was over an hour. However, that will be dependent on a number of things - such as your arrival time, how many other planes arrived at about the same time as your flight, how many agents are working, etc.

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

My concern is about outgoing passport control and security lines to direct US flights. Since I will already be going through security at catania, I need to figure out if if I have to go through normal security again at FCO. I understand that right before my flight, there will be an extra security for US flights. But then I am kinda sure that it will not cause me to miss my flight.

What now worries me is that if anyone could tell me exactly how to transfer between T1 to T3 without going through normal security again. and the time it takes?

I heard that previously people had to go to T5 for US flights. Is that closed right now? Delta website says we go to T3 and directly o to passport control for departures.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Hotel Delta Florence
Hotel Delta Florence
407 Reviews
Calenzano, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

Did you not use the website from post 5? If you would have populated your details, it would have shown that you only have to go through passport control, not security. Not saying that if you take a wrong turn, you may have to go through security again.

Terminal 5 is temporarily closed. Here was an article stating that Delta was moving to T3.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/it/en/n…

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Delta Florence
Hotel Delta Florence
407 Reviews
Calenzano, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?

Thanks a lot. Did not figure it out earlier. Sorry about that.

Reply to: FCO transfer between T3 and T1 in 2hr45min and 1hr45min?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;