We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Venice or 1 day in Venice and 1 in Milan?

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 days in Venice or 1 day in Venice and 1 in Milan?

Hello guys, i am planning a trip and i cant decide..should i spend 2 full days in Venice(2 nights) or one full day in Venice and 1 full day in Milan? Eveeryone told me that Milan is nothing special so one day will be enough..Whats your opinion?

my plan is 1 day in Venice,1 in verona,1 in milan and 3 in cinque terre+pisa

4 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
13,030 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: 2 days in Venice or 1 day in Venice and 1 in Milan?

well.....firstly 2 nights somewhere does not equal 2 days in a location; it is 1-1.5 days and that's because you have to get there from your previous destination (or airport arrival settle in time). Secondly, Venice is a significant destination and completely alluring...3 nights is minimum to barely catch your breath.

A guidebook would be most beneficial now....there is a lot to see and do in Venice and you might actually have a great time if you get off the trodden tourist paths of San Marco and the Rialto. So read up and allow time exploring the Cannaregio, Castello and/or Dorsoduro neighborhoods. Have a good tourist map.

You only have 6 nights and wish to visit 5 destinations with 4 hotel changes!....where are your airports?? ... you should be in your departure city the night before. Did you know that the train from Venice to the CT is 6 hrs, plus at least 1 hr before train travel and 1 hr afterward...a full day in transit.

This is what 6 days/6 nights might look like, 3 hotel changes, fly in Venice/out Pisa. I am not recommending.

--arrive Venice, 1/2 day

--Venice 2.5 days/3 nights

--train(s) to Cinque Terre - travel day

--Cinque Terre 1 day/2 nights

--train to Pisa 1/2 day

--Pisa 1/2 day/1 night

--fly out Pisa

Level Contributor
23 posts
2. Re: 2 days in Venice or 1 day in Venice and 1 in Milan?

Thanks for your suggestions but I didn’t share all the details that’s why you are confused...My flight is from Naples to Venice at 29th of March really early in the morning so at 9 I will be already in Venice..at 30rd I will take the morning bus and I will go to Verona..at 31st I will take the morning train and I will go to milan and at 1st of April I will take the early train and I will go to La Spezia...and in the 3rd of April I will take the train from Pisa and I will return to Napoli...the distance from each destination is not far..it’s like 1-2 hours and given the fact that I will take the morning trains I will arrive really early in my destinations...the thing is should I stay in Venice at 29th and 30rd and at 31st to go to Verona or yo go to Milan instead

California
Level Contributor
13,030 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: 2 days in Venice or 1 day in Venice and 1 in Milan?

well, that is really up to you--since you have to choose, I would read up a little and see which destination appeals to you the most. If it was me, I would put as much time in Venice as I could. As planned, you are on the move every day necessitating changing hotels 4 times in 5 nights.....travel time is always more than just the posted train schedule..

California
Level Contributor
13,030 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: 2 days in Venice or 1 day in Venice and 1 in Milan?

TRAIN TIMES - depending upon time and if a fast train.

Milan to La Spezia - 3.5-4 hrs

Venice to Milan - 2.5 -3.5 hrs

Venice to Verona - 1.15-1.5 hrs

Cinque Terre to Pisa - 1.15-1.5 hrs

These times do not take into consideration all the other "travel day" stuff: shower, final pack, breakfast, check out, walk to station (or take vaporetto), wait, travel for hours, walk to new hotel and not get lost, climb 3 flights of stairs, check in, toss bags on bed.....

Reply to: 2 days in Venice or 1 day in Venice and 1 in Milan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted