We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please to begin a plan for3 weeks in South Italy/Sicily

London, England
Level Contributor
149 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help please to begin a plan for3 weeks in South Italy/Sicily

We have visited Italy many times but never south of Amalfi coast. Now we would like to see Puglia but also Sicily and wondered if we could combine them ( with a bit of Basilicata/Catania thrown in) if we have 3 weeks available to travel in later September and October this year flying in and using car hire.

Our interests are scenery, history and nice food!

Firstly is approx 10 days in each area reasonable,or will we be likely to regret rushing everywhere. Ideally we would like to have at least one day in each week to just relax - on the coast or with a pool. Would trying to add an extra day or two make a significant difference.

Will it be feasible to hire a car from, say, Bari and return it in Sicily to link to arriving and departing flights or would it be better to get between the two areas by rail or air and hire a car in each area instead.

From looking at organised itineraries it seems that a base on the coast south of Bari and a night or two in Lecce would enable us to see most places in Puglia without changing base too often.

If we drive across to Sicily we could perhaps stay in Matera if we could reach the ferry to Sicily the next day. Or should we build in a night or two at Maratea which looks beautiful.

Similarly, I'm not sure how many separate bases we need to use in Sicily.

Are we likely to find any areas shutting down by mid October?

Sorry this is a long list of questions but I'm not sure how to begin building a plan. Thank you for any suggestions of how to begin to narrow this down.

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
62 Reviews
from $376.00*
$537.10
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,159 Reviews
from $74.20*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,139 Reviews
from $58.60*
1 reply
Virginia
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please to begin a plan for3 weeks in South Italy/Sicily

I have a tendency to concentrate on limited geographic areas, and having been to Puglia on two separate 10-day trips, I could easily see spending all of your time in Puglia and neighboring Basilicata and Calabria.

Of course Sicily is high on my list too, and I know you could fill three weeks there. So, I would ponder if you would want to insert the hassle of ferry and all that in the middle or pick one or the other.

With a lot of focus, you could certainly do both, it just makes me a little tired to consider it.

Coastal Puglia would probably be fairly quiet in October, so you might structure it to get beach time in during the first part of the trip. For bases in Puglia, I like Lecce (all of the Salento is easily reached from here but you have lots to do in town as well) and the coastal area near the Itria Valley (to include the Itria Valley itself, which is close to the sea as well). Highly recommend Matera!

Reply to: Help please to begin a plan for3 weeks in South Italy/Sicily
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted