We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Italy Car Rent

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Beware of Italy Car Rent

We rented a car from this Italy Car Rent while on holiday in Sicily. Yes, it was cheap BUT when we returned the car, they identified a tiny dent in the front passenger door, about the size that might be caused by a car door hitting it on opening. We had not had an accident, and had not noticed the mark when we picked the car up. The car was dirty when we collected it, both inside and out, and had large scrapes along both sides. They charged us three hundred Euros as a result of the tiny mark. Strongly recommend that you do NOT book with this company.

51 replies to this topic
Angourie, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
144 reviews
11. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

Thanks for your response.

Has anyone had problems with Europcar or Hertz in Italy or Portugal?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
212 reviews
12. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

We have just returned from Palermo on April 29th 2018 and got the same problem. They charged us 200 Euros plus 60 Euros administration fee for a scratch that was not caused by us. You can only return the car from 0800h lt wich was in our case a bit late since the flight was scheduled for 0910h. And at 0800h nobody from Italy Car Rent was present so we had to phone them. A lady showed up 10 minutes later and then already new on wich scratch she had to point (and the car had many scratches). We didn't sign the delivery protocol but informed our insurance company about this case. We are sure they do this kind of 'business model' with other clients.

Never again Italy Car REnt.

Angourie, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
144 reviews
13. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

We finally went with Europcar in Italy & Portugal last year. In both cases, we had no hassles at all & it was a very positive experience.

3 posts
14. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

Quick question..did you pay for kasko insurance without deductibles and still have this issue when renting the car from http://www.italycarrent.com/?

I'm interested to know if you guys had this issue while being fully covered or not :)

My intention is to rent using this company but pay 25 euros per day and be fully insured.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Sorin

Viana do Castelo...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
15. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

Has anyone used "Italy car rent" recently? I believe I may have read in their agreement Policy online, first line of pint 5, that customer's are not allowed to get their own insurance...is this true?!?

"The presentation of an insurance Policy of the customer for the coverage of damage or theft of the rented vehicle is not allowed"

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,736 posts
18 reviews
16. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

What they mean by that is this is a private matter between you and your insurance company. They will either have you buy insurance from them or put a huge hold on your credit card to cover any possible damages. If the car is damaged and you don't buy their insurances your card will be charged and it will be up to you to get reimbursed through your insurance company. That means you will need to run down all the documentation and repair costs and paperwork.

Donna

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,780 posts
17. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

https:/…92683232

Vagabonda

Viana do Castelo...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
18. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

Ty Donna and Vagabond!

1 post
19. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

Hi. Did you have an insurance with that company? I wanted to book with them . Thank you

1 post
20. Re: Beware of Italy Car Rent

I confirm this post. We had exactly the same experience in the Falcone-Borsellino Airport in Palermo. In our case, moreover, the damage was already reported when we picked up the car as written in the checkout notes. They asked 420 euros, immediately reduced to 260 euros, after our objections.

BEWARE OF ITALY CAR RENT. Do not trust it!!!

Reply to: Beware of Italy Car Rent
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted