We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First family holiday to Valencia

Worthing, England...
2 posts
Save Topic
First family holiday to Valencia

Travelling to Valencia in August with partner and 3 children aged 6,7 and 8. We are staying in an apartment in the city centre (apparently close to the old town and the Carmen) and I'm wondering about getting around.

We plan to visit the bioparc, the science museum, the oceanografic and the beach. I would also like to visit the silk exchange and a museum but we shall see if the children permit such a visit!

What I'm wondering is how best to get around with the 5 of us, would it be cheaper and more convenient to get a hire car? Do the places we hope to visit have adaquate parking? Or if going via public transport how can we keep the cost down? I have seen travel cards from the tourist office online but not sure if they are good value for money?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,310 posts
3,585 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First family holiday to Valencia

Hannah:

There is no free parking at the sights except near the Bioparc. If you are in the city center you can just walk to many sights like the Cathedral.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
315 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First family holiday to Valencia

Benny is right, we have just stayed two nights In the old town of Valencia as a family of five. Many of the attractions are walkable such as the cathedral. Some attractions such as the beach and the port are quite far from the old town, we had hired a car previously in Barcelona and travelled down, so we had the option of travelling to those attractions.

Valencia
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First family holiday to Valencia

Valencia has a fabulous metro and tram system

I wouldn't bother with a car

Most places are either walkable or near a metro stop

You can buy a 'bono' card with 10 journeys pre-loaded for just under €12 I think.

About £1 a journey per person - bargain!

inverness
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First family holiday to Valencia

Just back from Valencia and would recommend not hiring a car, the transport system is really good and driving would be very stressful!

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First family holiday to Valencia

As other people said, a car is not a good idea as most streets are one way and there is ample parking. Public bus 95 loops around the Truria for Arts & Sciences and Buipark, atless than two euro´s per person. The BONO card may be bought at tobacco stores called ESTANCO here (think ´stink´to remerber!) . mosts guests at our bed and breakfast in Valencia actually walk everythin, or they rent bikes at 10 euros a day which is a great way to explore Valencia and the ones at solution bike have kids seats too. Cycling trough the Turia park is fun, safe and relaxing, please do not rent a car! When visitig OCEONOGRAPHIC it saves a lot of time buying tickets in advance at the tourist office on Plaza Reina. It is the same price but lines are 5 minutes instead of one hour! If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to contact me, I am Dany from Bed and Breakfast Valencia Mindfulness Retreat. Enjoy your stay! Dany.

Worthing, England...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First family holiday to Valencia

Thanks for all your replies, will be going with the public transport system and getting the Bono card, liking the idea of hiring bikes at some point as well :-)

7. Re: First family holiday to Valencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 18, 2014