We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

I'd like some advice from the tripadvisor experts on the Northern Costa Blanca. We spent 3 weeks last summer in Javea and loved it. We both liked the climate on the Costa Blanca and would love to go back, but I'm wondering if we should try somewhere new and if these other resorts might be an option?

Due to a back problem, I have slight walking difficulties, so I need somewhere flat (Javea was perfect for this, and as we were between the Arenal and the Port, I was able (slowly!) to walk to both)

I don't know anything at all about Calpe, but it seems to get very good reviews. We did visit Denia for a day and absolutely loved the beach, but it seemed a bit spread out to allow me to walk to the different parts - though obviously, if I chose my area carefully, it might be a possibility.

Which of the resorts I would give me the same kind of experience as Javea? What we loved was the variety (the old town, the port and the arenal), the chiringuitos on the beach, the great choice of supermarkets near to us and the nice 'residential', spread-out feel of the accommodation, with no tour operator apartments. We did not like the pebble beaches, and the fact that the sunbeds on the Arenal were an absolute rip-off (18 euros per day for 2, and 50 cents to use the shower on the beach!)

So, do I go back to what I know I like (mostly!) or are there other resorts I haven't thought of, which tick all my boxes?

Over to TA! Thanks for all suggestions.

Calpe
Level Contributor
789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

Apart from the old town of Calpe (quite hilly with many steps) and the main shopping street which is quite an incline I think Calpe would suit you very well. The beaches are beautiful and lined with Cafe/bars and restaurants as well as many lovely shops

Why not google Calpe and see how nice the area is...We love it so much we chose to live here lol. Good luck and have a lovely holiday wherever you decide to stay.

devon
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

I agree totally with Calpe Annie,

Calpe is lovely, you can walk from one end to the other along the prom.....mostly flat a few inclines, but plenty of bars along the way to take a breather....

We go every year love it..... :-)

Calpe
Level Contributor
789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

Foxy, it's lovely to know how much you like about Calpe. It's warming up nicely at the moment, the beach was quite busy this morning with it being half term back home. Lot's of families enjoying the place.

devon
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

Hi Annie,

We do love it, I used to live there when I was little in the red flats at La Manzenera...do you know it, we used to go to school in benidorm it was just behind the orange hotel...many moons ago now....we always go back every year, we used to stay in Altea as my dad has a house there, but then found an apartment in Calpe and have just kept returning...we are on a count down now so cant wait to get back ...its like going home :-)

5. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:49 pm, July 22, 2012
devon
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

If we could we would live there too,

We used to own a couple of the red flats and also one in the green block, but the maintenance costs and stuff were so expensive, we sold them...in some respects I wish we hadnt, but its not the same anymore...the pool was always busy, the bar was great, it seems to have been let go a bit...

But we have found this lovely apartment right on the front which is great, lovely sea views and that of the rock....

I bet you have seen some changes too....

I remember when we could walk from the flats straight into town passing only a drive in cinema,, there was hardly any beach to speak of, and we always went into the Delphin in that little square .....good old days :-)

Calpe
Level Contributor
789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

The place has been like a war zone for months now with all the digging up of the main street and most side streets including the dry river bed road. It's been a real pain to park and walk about without coming to a road/pavement blockage! Supposed to be completed before july but I'll be amazed if it is.

It's dull and overcast today so far.

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

Okay, the last post has put me off Calpe.........

Calpe
Level Contributor
789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

Don't let it put you off at all because they do still promise all work will be finished in time for the holiday season...it doesn't get in the way of the beautiful sea front and beach area. Sorry if I've put you off in any way.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calpe, Denia, Javea or.....?

Lovely beaches in Calpe with good view of the Penon Rock. Make sure you stay on the town beach or Levante beach which are flat. There is a steep hill up to the old town of Calpe and at the moment the whole town is chaos with road works in every street this would be difficult for anyone walking to the shops.

Get answers to your questions about Calpe
Recent Conversations