We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calpe Floods

Which Calpe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
2 posts
Save Topic
Calpe Floods

'm planning a holiday to calpe in August 2008. There are loads of pics on the net showing the devastation caused by the floods. It does not look like it will all be sorted by August 2008. Anybody have any views on whether I should cancel the trip???

Alltea, Spain
Level Contributor
219 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calpe Floods

On October 12th we had extremely heavy rains. I had to go to the airport and ended up leaving my house with my suitcase on my head and the water up to my knees. Things are now being repaired and sorted out.I doubt very much if there will be problems by next August. Take your trip and enjoy.

Newcastle
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calpe Floods

Thanks for this. We have decided to give it a go - it seems such a nice place and we are all looking forward to it. I guess its in everybodys interest to get the repairs sorted out for next summer.

Cheers.

Wales
Level Contributor
203 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calpe Floods

Having seen the local council at work and knowing the importance of tourism to the area, I am certain that all will be repaired by the Spring.

Go to Calpe and enjoy it, once you have been to this wonderful part of Spain you will not want to go anywhere else !

I will be there Mid November for a week and i bet the works are started by then.

Benitachell
Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calpe Floods

August 2008 will be no problem. If beaches have been wrecked (eg Javea. Xabia) then all stops are pulled out to put things back to a "normal" position, and unlike Britain, repairs magically happen so that after a very short time it's difficult to appreciate the devastation that occurred only a few days earlier.

Even now, after several lovely days and no rain, water is still running hard off the mountains and down the water runaways and the sea is still rough enough that I don't want to go sailing!!!

derby
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Calpe Floods

We've not long come back from a week at the Esmeralda on the Playa Fossa in Calpe. In the immediate vicinity, you wouldn't have known anything had happened, there certainly wasn't a problem.

The area that flooded is between the town and the port, opposite the lake. The main beaches are OK, but the little coves are covered in driftwood/rubbish, that's been flushed out to sea and washed back in.

Some footpaths are blocked off. This should all be sorted out well before the summer.

There's an update in last Friday's Costa Blanca News, available online at www.costablanca-news.com/news/newsnorth.htm .

Wales
Level Contributor
203 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calpe Floods

As i mentioned in my earlier post, the works are well under way in Calpe with diggers and workmen all over the front near the fountain at the bottom of the Ave Gabriel Miro.

I look forward to seeing progress in February, but i suspect it will be all complete by then

7. Re: Calpe Floods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Calpe