We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Benidorm 43 years ago

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,886 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Benidorm 43 years ago

2 week ago, I returned to Benidorm for the first time in 43 years. Then I can recall my accommodation was just on the Poniente side of the little peninsular between the two beaches.

So I had a walk in the old town to try and find the place. I can remember being dropped off at a little police station in a side street not far from the beach. My accommodation then was just a bit further up the same street. However, on my walk I found a new police station which was 10 times bigger. Did the little police station close and can anybody remember what street it was in.

43 year ago Poniente Beach had just two skyscrapers at the far end which I think catered for the German market. Levante Beach didn't have anything, how it's all changed lol

…imageshack.us/img826/8973/20130429080546.jpg

Edited: 3:06 am, April 29, 2013
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,886 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

In those days the tour companies use to arrange trips to night clubs for Flamenco Dancing where you could drink a much champagne as possible and when the bottle was empty, you turned it upside down and it would be replaced by a new one.

…imageshack.us/img713/7861/20130429213613.jpg

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

I about 1972 or 1973 I remember looking at the hotel Ocas and thinking how modern the design of the windows and balconies looked. The hotel must have just been built or sold because it was empty and the pool water was green. The road was unmade and as you say just a track and I think an open air bar near the tourist information which is now being developed as part of the Ambassador.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Forgot to say the Ocas hotel had round circular balconies then.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Great thread del :-)

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,886 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Friends had booked a hotel from the Cosmos brochure and it only showed a picture of windows looking up from the street

I remember arriving at Alicante and I had previously looked up the bus fare to Benidorm and I think it was 12 pesatos and the taxi wanted to charge me 70 but I said no and walked off, he then came after me and said share for 35 pesatos to which I agreed. There was no motorway toll road in those days and it was such along ride, I felt sorry for the cabby who then drove around the town looking for the accommodation friends were staying in. We came across the police station and it was about 80 degs in the evening. I said to the cabbie drop us off here and I paid him the 70 lol. The police station was a small building with an open window with the officer sitting looking out. Nothing like the one of today lol

…imageshack.us/img37/520/20130430073318.jpg

More of a sherriff's office in those days lol.

Anyway, we thought we will just have to find another hotel but walking only about 30 metres up the street, I looked up and there were the windows in the Cosmos Brochure, underneath was a working man's cafe that the tour operator had hidden lol

Happy Days

Merseyside
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Hi Delboy

We have loved reading your great reviews of Playa Blanca and all the photos you posted. We have been to Playa Blanca many times. We are off to Benidorm for the first time in 3 weeks and are looking forward to seeing it. It must be amazing for you to see such a difference. How places change!!

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,886 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Hi Ann

glad yo enjoyed them, I did a similar one for the Benidorm trip on post 14 of this thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187525-i191-k64…

The walks linked in will give you a good idea of the place. Yes I couldn't believe how the place had changed, it looked like the New York skyline on the coach coming in

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Hi DelboyAylesbury.

You might like to have a read through this topic, the thread is closed so you can't post a reply.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187525-i191-k33…

Another good topic to read is this one, which is still active so yu can post replies.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187525-i191-k44…

Enjoy, Jettyman.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,886 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

wow thank you for that Jettyman, 69 pages must read those, I'll also have to look in my loft to see what other photo's I can find

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Delboy do u know there a Benidorm workers Facebook page u can join lots of d photos on there .

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm