We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Benidorm 43 years ago

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,995 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Benidorm 43 years ago

2 week ago, I returned to Benidorm for the first time in 43 years. Then I can recall my accommodation was just on the Poniente side of the little peninsular between the two beaches.

So I had a walk in the old town to try and find the place. I can remember being dropped off at a little police station in a side street not far from the beach. My accommodation then was just a bit further up the same street. However, on my walk I found a new police station which was 10 times bigger. Did the little police station close and can anybody remember what street it was in.

43 year ago Poniente Beach had just two skyscrapers at the far end which I think catered for the German market. Levante Beach didn't have anything, how it's all changed lol

…imageshack.us/img826/8973/20130429080546.jpg

Edited: 3:06 am, April 29, 2013
Huntly, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Wow, That IS white!

Sorry I can't answer your question. My experience only goes back 34 years when the Rio Park was the furthest hotel from the beach!

Hope someone can help you.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,995 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

yes no suntan warnings in those days lol

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

the little police was oppersit the queens hotel at the begining of tappas ally

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,995 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Thanks lolly that would make sense, as it wasnt too far from the front from memory, those little lanes/streets in that area were not named on my map and I ended up going further into town looking for it

Perhaps next time I'll give it a go and have another search

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

I went to The Helios 42 years ago and there was nothing except fields behind it

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,995 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

I think they were dusty roads with restaurants and bars some advertising 'Tea as mother would make' lol

Edited: 11:39 am, April 29, 2013
yorkshire
Level Contributor
663 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Was like High Chaparral the old TV western my friends tell me

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

I remember when the roads in the new town were just dust and unmade. First morning there after being out all night we walked back along the prom to the Old town. We then spent ages trying to find our hotel in the Old town. We had just dumped our cases in the hotel lobby and gone out to the New town because our rooms weren't available until about four in the afternoon the next day.

Moraira, Spain
Level Contributor
697 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

Going back to around 1970 I can remember walking from the reymar (ambassador playa) with my mum late at night and we had a torch so we could find our way in the pitch black up to our apartment edificio roxana. Calla londres was the dirt track! Remember it so well even though I was a small child.

Edited: 2:38 pm, April 29, 2013
Basildon, Essex.
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Benidorm 43 years ago

When I first went to Benidorm with my parents we stayed in the Catalonia Hotel. They were building a hotel next door which was going to be called Catalonia II. They had Bell-boys in the hotels then - very cute when your'e only 13! There was only trees & shrubs around the Catalonia, & it had a nice little round pool set in quite big gardens..........That was in 1970, & the hotel is now known as the Pelicanos, The one being built was the Ocas lol. There was a row of shops next to them, but the end of the road was a dirt track! I fell in love with Benidorm during those two weeks.

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm