We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Visit - Just got back

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
My Visit - Just got back

Now, I don’t normally do these kinds of posts, but as you guys have been so helpful I thought I would do. Sorry that its so long!!

The hill up to magic rocks, come on guys, you hardly notice it and your up it in a few minutes. I was expecting something really really awful, if your old/have walking problems, I could maybe understand. Also, if its really hot then you might find it hard, but looking from my window it looked like it was flat and not a hill.

The gypsies stealing the bags etc, I didn’t see a single one in my time in benidorm, nor did I notice anything bad going on. We didn’t visit the square when it was kicking out time, so I not sure if it was bad then for trouble, but you would get that anywhere if there was.

The pea men, I only noticed them once, it was quite interesting watching them from a distance, making sure I wasn’t going to get pick pocketed. They were only there for 3 minutes or so, before running away from the police, not to be seen again.

The transfer with travelrepublic, for £8 was great, getting to benidorm and to the hotel did take a while, about 1hr 45 maybe. We were the last drop off though, and I was expecting it. This morning we were the last pick up, so were only on the coach for an hour or so.

We took a day trip to guadalest, its not really worth it guys if im honest, the boat trip on the lake was decent but nothing else to write home about really. Not many shops there, and all selling generic tourist tat, but for 20euro it did get us out of benidorm for the day and it was pleasant enough.

The hotel was decent, the food was nice but got a bit “samey” after a while, there was nothing wrong with it. We ate out on 3 of the nights as we wanted a change. The beer at the hotel was nice, you can have a selection of 5 cocktails without paying more, the juices were good also.

In regards to the entertainment, when we visited it was a bit quiet in the English bar, so we stayed more at the reception area to drink before we went out.

John and joseph (genuine) was decent, cheap food, again it was a cause of getting what you expected, not a gastronomic experience but what do you expect for 5euro a meal. My girlfriend did enjoy the bingo which happens from 3 till 6 monday to saturday.

La Brasa steak house, just around the corner from the ambassador hotel, near the new india gate. Fantastic bit of steak. 12Euro for 3 courses, we had soup, steak and chips and chocolate cake, was well worth every penny. According to other reviews it is empty a lot, as was the case when we were there, im not sure why as its really nice.

Picadilly karaoke bar was good, they had WIFI which seemed hard to find in benidorm.

Benidorm, for me, did live up to the stereotype that I was expecting, is that a bad thing? No I dont think it is, what I did enjoy was getting a taxi to the old town, and feeling like you were in a completely different town, then walking back experiencing the the different bars.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: My Visit - Just got back

May its Campus that calls the bingo in the Plaza. Glad u enjoyed your holiday. Mo-Flo so sorry your ill on your Holiday it's not much fun is it. Hope u are out & about soon the holiday goes so fast.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: My Visit - Just got back

Mo_flo - I did look out for you in the dining room, but then realised I had no idea what you looked like. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I got back from Riviera today too - my experience has been almost identical to May's. Never saw or heard of any trouble. There was a very high police presence around the Sunday market, so no Pea-men there. Saw them twice all week - once running away from the police and trying to hide their cardboard, and then on the Levante prom. Slightly worrying was that they seem to have recruited an English man to go along with the plot. Otherwise, fantastic buzz about the place.

Not such a good experience for me with the Flybus transfer this time. Long wait at the airport (a hen-party got lost in the airport), and then cutting it VERY fine getting back to the airport for check-in.

Edited: 5:40 pm, April 20, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: My Visit - Just got back

Really you cant blame flybus for the delay, infact imo they provided a good customer service, it's a shame the customer didn't show the same respect. Any other business would have just left

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: My Visit - Just got back

Never said I blamed Flybus for the late hen party. I said it wasn't such a good experience this time. I've travelled with them several times before without an issue

But was not happy at only arriving in the airport just in the nick of time to check-in.

County Durham...
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: My Visit - Just got back

II cant believe the police don't know these pea men personally , they have been on the go long time. I can pick them out so can my husband, so why cant the police?

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
252 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: My Visit - Just got back

Hi May,

In reply to your message regs Grannies Tea Room, we went there in February and had a slice of lemon meringue pie and cup of tea. We thought the tea and pie were nice but the prices were OTT. We understood why it was so quiet as the owner is a little loopy!. Much better places in our opinion.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: My Visit - Just got back

Unfortunately that was our experience too at Granny's tea room, nice food on offer but the owner seemed 'tourist worn' and not very friendly which was a shame. But glad your experience there was good May.

Michael's pie shop was closed in the indoor market when we were there. Too many cafes now in the Indoor Market in my opinion.

Jules

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
252 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: My Visit - Just got back

Hi Jules,

Yes I too agree regs the indoor market, it was full of all the same cafes. Did you try the copy Greggs on the other side of the road, their pasties are excellent.

Belfast
Level Contributor
558 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: My Visit - Just got back

Lol @ JMC! Yes Polly is a little loopy! Ive been told off in there! Lol! She does a great pot of tea though!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: My Visit - Just got back

Hi May,delighted to know you enjoyed your holiday I love the part where you pop in now and again to top up your travel experiences, I for one love this kind of thread,do not be any way apologetic about updates on your op as this delights all us onlookers,little snippets about you experiences enthrall us,we here at home dreaming about getting back to Benidorm lol...we are like a row of people peering over a fence------. to see whats going on....thanks for your review/s May realy enjoyed reading...you sound like as we say back here a "soft spoken "person,lovely to read and enjoyed

Best wishes,Mike

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm