We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Bell Bar - not for us

London, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Blue Bell Bar - not for us

We thought we'd give the Blue Bell Bar a try as my friend is Scottish. We don't particularly like football so the Rangers theme didn't matter to us but she really took exception to the picture on the wall of Paul Gascoine doing his flute playing impression and we left. She had to explain to me the significance of it but I think its such a shame that bar owners alienate potential customers like this. I know my boyfriend wouldn't go in the Liverpool bar but would go in the Stretford end for example. In this economic climate surely they would be better keeping neutral and welcoming everyone.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

well imo a think each to there own ..If people want to go to celtic ..rangers ..liverpool bars etc on holiday then thats up to them ..Better bars than football bars lol mazza

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

The worst for that is the Golden Last.

A bar that lives purely on it's political statements. 'The first loyalist bar in Benidorm'

It#s pretty terrible. But each bar to their own

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

If Celtic and rangers. Two teams with many bitter rivals steeped in sectarianism that goes beyond just football.

They are two supporter bars I would avoid if you can get even slightly offended by such things. I would go in neither and plenty of other bars to choose from. At least you know to avoid next time

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

Imo most themed bars are tacky, but hey, if it works for the owners, then good on'em!

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

OP why wouldnt your boyfriend not go in Liverpool bar but go in Stretford end?

thats just as biased as the photograph kettle, pot ,black ,comes to mind, but on saying that majority of Liverpool and Utd supporters dont even come from

either city yet you get people from all over the country either slagging Liverpool or Manchester off depending on which team they support when they have got no roots or background to either city,very strange if they want to support football let them support their local team, instead of trying to latch on to a team from another city, why would a southerner for instance not go in an LFC bar but go in a MUFC

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

Is the golden last the one with sectarian emblems on the wall? Have heard of it but couldn't believe it existed.

Suppose beni really does have something for everyone

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

I don't believe bars should be displaying political or religious messages but quite honestly being offended by differing football alliances is stretching it a bit for me.

Owners like to reflect the areas they come from which includes local football teams etc. It can make for good hearted banter not bad feeling surely?

I've been in the Blue Bell and didn't even notice pictures of Paul Gascoigne to be honest. How can football allegiance dictate where you drink?

I wouldn't expect the Bodhran Bar to remove all Irish paraphernalia or the Tower Lounge to take down Blackpool momentos because they don't meet my tastes.

Sorry this objection baffles me. Enjoy the drink and the company, couldn't care less about their pictures. Could decorate the walls with photos of the mother in law in her curlers for all I care!

Jules

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

Rangers and Celtic is a separate case though. Both teams have followers that are divided by more than football. Where I'm from at the height of the troubles wearing one of their tops was almost a uniform that said far more than you liked football. In fact most people wearing them probably couldn't name you the team and certainly didn't watch them week in week out. If you walked into the wrong area wearing the wrong top you wouldn't be walking back out.

It's nowhere near as bad now with the supporters but that division will always be there

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

I appreciate some emblems have political implications muzka and as I said, they should play no part in bars that should welcome everyone and alienate no one.

But it's the reason politics and religion should be kept out of football in the first place.

I would be amazed if Kenny or Zaskia intended to make any kind of political statement by that picture in the Blue Bell as he is English and she is Spanish from what I recall.

Hopefully they might take it down now if it does cause offence. Did the OP mention to them that they found it offensive in a Benidorm bar?

Jules

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Bell Bar - not for us

To be honest it's an iconic picture and a classic one of gazza. I'd say that's the main reason it was put up rather than a political statement

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm