We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Mirror report

london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Mirror report

O dear Benidorms gettting another bad light in the uk, so shortly after the Suns right up a week or so back, now in the Sunday Mirror on page 22 about how bad its going with dope etc. Lets be honest always that form of activity there where else where theres a massive concentration of young and drunkable tourists but angry that the authorities couldn't have stopped this spread along with serial pickpocketing well during the last a couple of years. Getting to the stage now where especially on here to tell people to by pass the square all together and and keep clear. Yet another nail in the thorn on people getting scared in the uk and tourists coming over.

The Downhill Bike Ride
Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Round Town Travel
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tour Me Out Benidorm
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sunday Mirror report

Interestingly on the first thread the majority of posters seemed to acknowledge the problem including me but as usual the journalistic reporting is over-sensationalised.

I'd be interested in the views of the younger holidaymakers who are more likely to be targeted by drug-pushers. It's clear that there is a drug culture in Benidorm as there is in many large cities but people my age and older don't experience it (though may be aware of its existence).

Just glad the authorities are acknowledging the general crime problem...can't be a bad thing? Let's not get it out of perspective though like the journalists!

Jules

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sunday Mirror report

The paper reported it because it's getting worse. Doubt they have sone sort of issue with beni and are making up stories. Not just beni, the papers have done plenty of stories about Ibiza, magaluf etc.

Doubt it would stop people going

Huntly, United...
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sunday Mirror report

I think we all know what goes on at "The Square" and as one poster said its merely supplying a demand that must be present.

Can't see anything changing until Benidorm goes out of fashion for stags and hens or any other single sex groups, and who knows when that will be.

I would hate Beni to become another Magalluf where the kids have virtually taken over the resort and pushed out the families and couples and therefore the dealers, hookers etc have moved in in greater numbers than ever.

Whilst it is contained in one area (The Square) it will be tolerated by all who have a vested (financial) interest.

Can you imagine the noise that the Spanish would kick up if the Old Town started becoming like The Square? THEN we would see some action from the authorities.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sunday Mirror report

With the increase of drugs not only does it bring gangs but it will also hit the clubs as people will buy less drink. The report says its people who work for the bars and clubs selling the drugs so I'm sure the owners will be keeping an eye on their promo staff after reading the newspaper story

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sunday Mirror report

So of the clubs and bars give their staff this stuff to sell and that's a fact

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sunday Mirror report

"The reason it's turned like it has with all the drug and prostitution problems is because Benidorm is now a stag & hen place sadly and these 2 things are what this sort of clientel want sadly, so it goes hand in hand"

is possibly the most idiotic post I have ever read on any TA forum ever.

I think you'll find the majority of resorts with drug problems are 18-30 style resorts.

Stag and hens are people of all ages getting married, not 18 year olds getting off their faces.

You clearly have a vendetta against Stag and Hen parties, but posting this garbage makes you look foolish.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sunday Mirror report

the-gadgie, you are correct about that. Old Spanish families would simply not put up with it in the Old Town.

18. Re: Sunday Mirror report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:49 am, August 17, 2012
19. Re: Sunday Mirror report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:55 pm, January 04, 2013
manchester
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Sunday Mirror report

i am 43 and was with my wife and kids and still they were asking me if we wanted to score so it isnt just youngsters getting asked. funny how you dont see the normal posters on a bad thread as somebody has called benidorm they stay away and only want to comment on the good threads.. people need to get there heads out of the clouds with all this it hasnt happened to me so there isnt a problem as it will come a time when people will stay away and the clubs and shops will be hit hard empty shops and clubs wont be at all good for benidorm..

the mirror also said the police are clamping down hope this is true as it would be a shame for beni to be a ghost town with all the bad publicity

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm