We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Changing Face of Benidorm.

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
The Changing Face of Benidorm.

A group of us 1970’s workers visited Benidorm in early April 2011, it was fascinating looking what my old work places had become, The Western Saloon has become Richards New Look Bar, the Istanbul Disco looks like a store for the Hotel Diplomatic and Tramps Disco is now a lap dance bar. Some of the other places where I socialized were still there, but Bar Calou in the old town is now a sex shop, the Ex Bar is bricked up and Jack’s Scottish Bar is now a Tile shop. Benidorm is ever changing, the big clubs are out of town and the noisy late night bars are mostly located in what’s now known as ‘The Square’ but there are still plenty of themed bars dotted around old and new Benidorm.

As old friends from the 70’s chatted, we all agreed that Benidorm has still got a special feeling about it; we walked for hours around the old and new town amazed at how big modern it has become. There is something about eating paella in Aitona’s, nibbling tapas down the alley, sitting on the point with a cold beer in the early evening and even just plain people watching that makes Benidorm special. I’m sure we will be back next year for another reunion, hopefully with an even bigger group, we will all take in and enjoy the new Benidorm as well a reminisce the old.

Has anybody any thoughts and memories on some of the changes from 60’s to 90’s Benidorm, to what it’s become now.

Jettyman

340 replies to this topic
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
211. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

This years Benidorm British workers of the 70’s reunion will be from the 19th until 26th May; a group of about 50 turned up for the Friday night at Churchills last year and we’re hoping for the same turnout this year. We are having a big night out on Wednesday 22nd May in Colliers Bar in the old town, during the 70’s the bar was called the Hawaii 5-0 Bar, lots of 70’s workers used to drink there. For Wednesday 22nd only Colliers will revert to the Hawaii 5-0 Bar again with Hawaiian shirts the sounds of the 70’s and one of the original 70’s barmaids.

Churchills is again the chosen venue for the big Friday night out of the annual reunion of 70’s workers in Benidorm. Between 40 & 50 of us will be having a Friday night out in Vinnie’s Churchills bar on the 24th May, where we will be again partying to the sounds of the 70’s.

Anybody who worked or holidayed in Benidorm in the 70’s may recall discos like the 007, El Corral, Istanbul, Tramps and Eva’s, you may of even danced on the tables & chairs of the old Western Saloon on the seafront. If you did go to any of these places in the 70’s, the chances are some of us were working there at the time. If you are in Benidorm that week why not pop along to Colliers or Churchills and join the fun reminiscing and dancing to the tunes of 70’s

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
Save Reply
212. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

I remember all the venues you mention jettyman, but for some strange reason I've got no recollection of what I got up to in any of them :) Hope your reunion is a blast.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
213. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

one day I hope to be in the uk at the right time in order to join the reunion fun, until then you guys have fun and my memories will live on.

Hull england
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
214. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

Can anybody recommend a good insurance company for people with blood pressure plus diabetes thanks in advance.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
215. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

kath, start a new post with that as the heading, more people will reply that way........

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
216. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

Type your question into the empty search box above. Plenty of companies have been recommended previously.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
217. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

Another reunion is over for the 70’s workers and as usual we all had a fantastic time. This year I stayed in the Hotel Diplomatic, I must say it has come a long way since the 70’s when it was called the Hotel Don Juan. The reception and seating areas were first class and my room was superb with all the amenities of a four star hotel. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and went the extra mile to help me set up a tour of the old Istanbul Disco area now used as the hotel function room. We had a great night in Colliers Bar in the old town when Colin and Eileen turned it back into the Hawaii 5-0 for the night only. Vinnie in Churchill’s again gave us run of house on the Friday so we could dance to the 70’s disco music we remember so well.

One of the changes in Benidorm for me since the 70’s was when we sat on the beach with very little money, we used to go to the supermarket for a half a bocadillo with sliced tomato and a bottle of water, we can now snack and drink in the trendy beach bars in the late afternoon, it was special being able to chat looking over the sea and sand, that’s something we all dreamed of back then….Jettyman.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
218. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

Yes I'm getting all your updates & photos on Facebook looked like u all had a ball,u must all have very good memories to share & it is so good to catch up after all these years, I'm enjoying all the photos even though i don't know any of you?

Bedford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
219. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

hi

just stumbled on this,was looking for abreak in beni next mth the fist time ive been back in35,40 yrs

reading all the posts brought back loads of mems, aint stoped laughing.

we used to stay in the reymar all the time member the old dust bowl footy pitch opposite right by jesus bar..

we used to end up there every night starvin.. talk the coast and talk of the town just further on

i remember borsalinos,istanbull,vanity,western,uk brits bar.we also went to the hotel presidente disco

downstairs i think, member coming out of ther a bit beerd up and crashin in to them big green rubber bins.and garda tellin me to clear mess up.all me mates laughin,ive still got sme entrance stubs from the discos ill have to dig m out and jog me mem,,anyway lookin forward to going back,prob wont stop laughn wen im there, tanx 4 the mems

Preston, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
220. Re: The Changing Face of Benidorm.

Hi,

Do you remeber a night club imn the late 1960s (1969) that from memory was situated part way up a hill about 10 to 15 minutes from Benidorm by car, it was quite popular and had top artists such as The Four Tops which were on the night I went. There was free sangria all night included in the admission and because the French lads I went with did not like sangria I drank all theirs and don't remember much after that? I am intersted in the name of the club just out of curiosity. Any information welcome

Reply to: The Changing Face of Benidorm.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm