We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pamplona Running of the Bulls

Tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
Pamplona Running of the Bulls

I am giving serious thought to going to Pamplona this year to watch the Running of the Bulls. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know of any hotels on the route of the running of the bulls that has a balcony?

Thank you

Ron

Mentioned in this post
Pamplona
Pamplona
Navarra, Spain
Fortress and Walls of Pamplona
Historic Sites, Military Bases & Facilities, Military Museums
Pamplona Catedral
Churches & Cathedrals, Architectural Buildings
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

Been there and done that many times over and will be doing it again this year. It���s just one of those things.

There are two hotels situated along the route of the encierros, the Hotel Europa*** and the HR La Perla*, where Hemingway was supposed to have spent one night.

There hasn't been a room available at the H. Europa since it opened in the late 1890's, but actually, not since Franco's death. This is where you'll find such notables as Juan Arzak, the famous Basque chef from San Sebastian-Donostia.

The HR La Perla on the other hand is one place I can't recommend under almost any circumstance, although it does have some rooms overlooking the route. The hotel is in serious need of renovation, which they are doing slowly, step by step, but they are a long way from finishing the project. The rooms are not air-conditioned (a must during the hot July weather), sound-proofed, meaning no insulated windows to keep out the 24 hour-a-day crowd noise emanating from the street below your open window, and are lacking in security (turn of the century locks, late 19th century). Many of the rooms do not have in-room facilities, again a feature in 19th century hotels. You have to share a bathroom with several others, perfect for history buffs, but not for someone paying up to 500 euros plus a night for a room with a view. They also impose a minimum stay requirement and a no-refund policy, depending on the room, those that overlook the route.

One the other hand, you can contact one of the companies (extremely limited) that offers packages, including balconies, for the fiesta. It���s either that, or you can book whatever���s available in the city and see what else you can come up with on your own.

I think you���ll find this much more acceptable then staying at the La Perla.

Mentioned in this post
Basque Country
Basque Country
Pyrenees-Atlantiques, France
San Sebastian - Donostia
San Sebastian - Donostia
Province of Guipuzcoa, Spain
2. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, July 18, 2013
3. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 pm, February 01, 2005
4. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 pm, February 01, 2005
5. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

Removed on: 3:24 pm, February 01, 2005
New England, USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

Best guide to everything to do with the fiesta is this insider, straight-talking, and (in its translated--into English--version) disarmingly witty website (even has downloadable PDF segments): <<http://www.sanfermin.com/2004/guia.php?lang=eng>>

Along with a copy of The Sun Also Rises and this guide you will understand both the reasons you are going to Pamplona in the first place and what to expect when you get there.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Pamplona
Pamplona
Navarra, Spain
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

Hotel La Perla is closed for renovation. It is to be a 5-star hotel when completed. If properly soundproofed, and if it will accept new registrants during the San Fermin festival, it will be the choice for the discriminating and wealthy guest.

There is nowhere in town to stay where you will be able to sleep. The noise is incredible. The 2005 outside amplified music stage was the largest and loudest portable system I have ever seen in my life. The screen at city center came in on a semi-trailer and "unfolded" to about forty feet high. The speakers would not fit in most gymnasiums. If you want to sleep, stay outside of the old portion of town.

Hotel Tres Reyes is supposed to be the nicest in town, but there is no soundproofing of the exterior walls. Actually, the exterior walls are some type of flimsy metal that move when you push on them. It felt and sounded as though, even with custom-molded earplugs, that the bands were right outside my window, with music pounding non-stop at unbelievable decibels until 6:30 am. I will not stay at Hotel Tres Reyes again.

The problem with staying outside the city center is that you will walk for a half hour to get anywhere, you will be far from anything happening, and you will most likely not get a taxi, since thousands of others are competing with you to get one. Forget driving, because the city is impossible to negotiate during the festival unless you are on a motorbike.

In sum: San Fermin festival is a giagantic booze-fest that the world descends upon for eight days, not to be missed. If you don't want to sleep, stay in city center. If you need to sleep, stay outside the city and bring some walking shoes. Book one year ahead.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

I guess we all see things differently and this fiesta is no different. We stay a short 10-minute walk from the Plaza del Castillo and have no problems sleeping, when we get the chance.

The fiesta is far more then a "gigantic booze-fest", but one has to be interested in learning something about the fiesta, it's history and the culture of Navarra and the people of Pamplona, who welcome everyone to their yearly celebration.

Mentioned in this post
Plaza del Castillo
Plaza del Castillo
1,075 Reviews
Pamplona, Spain
Pamplona
Pamplona
Navarra, Spain
New England, USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

I have repeatedly discovered (and confirmed it at Pamplona) that very often the fears of finding parking are so well known and so many people heed them that in the end it is relatively easy to find a place. Three days in a row we were able to drive down from our "casa rural" in the hills near Burguete and park within two blocks of the Estafeta (a main stretch of the bull run and right in the thick of all things Fiesta).

In fact, there are orange vested traffic guides all over the center city, who will direct you to the best available parking (they were the ones who first directed me to my spot and even moved barricades to let me go down closed streets).

Here is a link from our experiences at this year's Fiesta:

…mac.com/sleiii/…PhotoAlbum40.html

My advice to any who run in the Encierro, do it sober; I had more problems with the drunks in front of me than the bulls behind.

Mentioned in this post
Pamplona
Pamplona
Navarra, Spain
San Francisco
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pamplona Running of the Bulls

Here are some picutes from last month:

photobucket.com/albums/…

I stayed at an apartment flat right on the runs at Estafeta (4th floor). (around the corner from the Hotel Europa.) Our flat was the opposite side of the balcony, and all of us had no problems sleeping. I only heard the noise when we were getting ready to leave downstairs at the main door.

I am glad I didn't get a hotel or go outside from the old city. Our apt. door entrance was about 50 steps away from Plaza de Castillo and less than a minute to the Bullring. It was very centralized to everything!

All of us got up at 6:50am to dress up, change and were at the Ayuntamiento (Town Hall, where everyone who wants to run has to meet there) by 7:10AM. It just takes 2 minutes from our room.

San Fermin has to be one of the best times I had in my life. Way better than mardi gras...(mardi gras is just one street....imagine mardi gras in several streets in an old town...without the beads, fights, heavy police presence, you can drink outside!!)

Way better than New Years Eve in New York or Las Vegas.

Way better than any Spring Break...

I race cars for a hobby and I also sky dive....

and nothing came close as the RUSH I got from six 1500 lbs. bulls that you had no control over, coming down the street ready to gore anyone. Plus playing with the bulls inside the the Plaza after the Run.

You don't pack much because all you will be wearing is red and white. You don't need to dress up to go to the many, nice restaurants, because everyone is wearing red and white. And if you need white pants, go to the market at the park and bargain if you wish. It's usually 5-6 euros or less.

I could go on and on...I'm probably going next year and I'm going indeed in 2007.

-Alan

PS..If you get 'E' the Entertainment Channel. Watch Taradise with Tara Reid:

eonline.com/On/Taradise/Gallery/index.html

She does an episode on the Running of the Bulls.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK