We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Pamplona from Huesca

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
686 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Pamplona from Huesca

I need to drive from Huesca to Pamplona

I'll be leaving Huesca on saturday night approx 8pm. The direct route on the A-132 and N-240 looks like a bad road on the map. Is it also mountainous?

I'm thinking of going back to Zaragoza and thus having motorway all the way. Mapquest recommends the Zaragoza route whereas the AA recommends the direct route.

I already asked in the Huesca forum and didn't get an answer.

Note there are three of us sharing the costs so we don't mind the extra toll costs or fuel costs if the Zaragoza route is the better way to go.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
304 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Pamplona from Huesca

We've done both routes before - Zaragoza is better if you are driving in the dark.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
686 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Pamplona from Huesca

Thanks appreciate the response. I will take your advice as I was starting to lean towards the longer motorway drive anyway.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Pamplona from Huesca

There's nothing wrong with the N-240, but it is a smaller road, as they have not finished the new highway into Pamplona. It's an easy drive, but you need to beware that there is a photo speed trap at Km 202 where the speed suddenly drops from 120 to 70. The warning sign is partly hidden by vegetation. This speed trip has a long history.

For some people it may be easier taking longer route through Zaragoza, but the drive will add about an hour to the trip than if you followed the N-240. The cost of the tolls should be 18,10€, but you can avoid some of the tolls if you follow the N-121 into Pamplona.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
686 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Pamplona from Huesca

I did the drive on saturday night using the N240. It was a late decision which one to take.

It took approx 2 hours and 20 minutes. Luckily it was bright for most of that time. The road goes around and over quite a few mountains and while in good shape takes a lot of concentration and there is a sheer drop in many places albeit protected by barriers. The scenery was impressive. The last 20 miles into Pamplona is motorway and it is being extended.

With hindsight I'd recommend taking the motorway route albeit it will cost more in tolls and petrol although in daylight it is still a close call. I would be very reluctant to do the N240 drive in the dark.

5. Re: Driving to Pamplona from Huesca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 03, 2010