We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Alicante from Murcia

Which Murcia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Alicante from Murcia

Hello. I recently booked flights from Gatwick to Murcia flying out with Easyjet and back with British Airways, in order to use my Nectar points and airmiles. Having booked my return flight which was due to leave at 12.40 British Airways now tell me that the flight has been changed to 10.40. The only way I can get to the airport from Murcia is by bus and the first bus leaves at 8 a.m. My problem is: if the bus is delayed or late it will not give me much time to check in and catch my flight. Does anyone know of any alternative reliable transport from Murcia to Alicante? I know there are taxis, but I am on a tight budget and I know that taxis cost around 100 euros which I cannot afford. With many thanks.

Edited: 7:30 am, October 28, 2013
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Alicante from Murcia

Hi A&J,

I'm assuming here that by 'Murcia' you mean the city of Murcia.

If that's the case, then the only other way I could think of is by train....

* Go here: http://www.renfe.com

* Click on 'Welcome' for the english language version if you need to.

* Click on 'Commuter trains'.

* Scroll down and click on 'Murcia/Alicante'.

* Select Murcia del Carmen as your departure station.

* Select Alicante/Alacant.T as your destination station.

* Choose your date and click on 'Search' and choose your preferred time.

* Click on 'Plano y Zonas' for route map with zones.

* Click on 'Tickets & Passes' to see the ticket price based on the number of zones you travel through.

* Trains marked 'Civis' in the timetable stop at certain stations only and are marginally quicker.

Once in Alicante city, get the C-6 airport bus from the estación Renfe to Alicante airport (ALC). I think they run every 20 minutes or so at peak times. €2.75 single fare. Have the exact fare if possible. Loads of info here: aerobusalicante.es/index.php/…

You should be just about OK time-wise Mon-Sat if you take the 1st train assuming you have to be at ALC 2+ hours before departure. Sundays may be a bit of a push to get to ALC 2 hours before hand.

Good luck.

DD

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Alicante from Murcia

Thank you so much DD. Yes I am staying in the city of Murcia with my friend who lives quite near the cathedral. She doesn't have a car so I have to rely on public transport. Many thanks for the information. That is very useful. J (A is not coming with me on this occasion)

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Alicante from Murcia

Forgot to mention...

There's a Talgo (inter-city) train that leaves Murcia's del Carmen station around 06:30 Mon-Sat which stops at Alicante. Gets into Alicante around a quarter to 8. Just put your departure and destination details into the Renfe website main page, no need to click on Cercanías this time.

Tickets will be dearer compared to a Cercanías.

Unfortunately, the Talgo's no use if you're travelling on a Sunday as the train does not depart del Carmen until gone 09:30.

ATB.

DD

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Alicante from Murcia

Many thanks again. I am travelling on a Monday so that should be okay. Thanks again for all your assistance.

ATB

J

5. Re: Getting to Alicante from Murcia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 30, 2014