We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire again (sorry)

Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire again (sorry)

I'm a little confused, not hired a car for years. I need to hire from Murcia airport, pick up on a Friday morning, return on a Monday morning. On centauro website for 37 euros I can take out the extra insurance, but it also says for 22 euros I can pick up full and return full rather than pay them for the petrol. Why would I have to pay them 22 euros to do this? If I return empty do they charge a lot more than the fuel would actually cost to fill up or is it a fair charge? I'll be doing quite a few miles so probably will use a whole tank all in all but don't wanna be ripped off and charged twice what the fuel would cost! And if I take out the extra insurance when I book does this mean they won't take a deposit on my credit card when I arrive? It's all very confusing, last time I hired a car years ago you just paid for it, took the optional insurance or didn't and returned the car full, there were no scams or extras charged then lol

Thanks x

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire again (sorry)

We've been using Centauro for over 20 years and always found them reliable.

If you don't take out their extra insurance they will want a deposit, I think it's 300 euros but you'd need to check. They do charge over the odds for petrol, as do all the car hire companies, even for the smallest car it'd be around 70 euros for a full tank.

Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire again (sorry)

Thanks, do you know how much their extra insurance is? If it's not loads I'll just take it out when I get there rather than when I book x

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire again (sorry)

Sorry don't know what they charge at the moment for extra insurance. We always get an annual policy in the UK for about £30.

Los Alcazares, Spain
Destination Expert
for Region of Murcia
Level Contributor
894 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire again (sorry)

Everyone is looking to squeeze additional profits in whatever way they can these days, and this looks like a new trick. The last time we used Centauro was around 6 months ago, on a similar short rental period to yourself. Because rental period was less than 4 days we did in accordance with Centauro's terms and conditions only pay for the fuel we used, at standard pump prices, by taking and returning the car with a full tank. The question of paying to do this was not raised, so I assume that to charge for the option is a new practice. As Llamacalmer has said, you will end up out of pocket if you don't pay the €22, as the difference between what Centauro charge you and the pump price will be more than that.

Edited: 1:38 pm, October 25, 2013
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire again (sorry)

Thank you! I'll pay the 22 then. And my last question lol...on centauro website if I take the extra insurance out directly through them (not a broker) when I book and pay will they still ask me to take it out again on arrival or is that just if you go through a third party booking agent? I'm so confused!

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire again (sorry)

If you book and pay for the extra insurance in advance, they won't ask for it again.

Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire again (sorry)

Thanks for all the help, with the car hire, the 22 for full/full and the extra insurance it comes to about 90ish euros for a small car, hopefully they won't sting me with anymore extras once I arrive! X

8. Re: Car hire again (sorry)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Murcia