We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to murcia

Which Murcia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
first time to murcia

I am flying to murcia at the end of the month (1/2 term). I've never been to this part of spain before and would like advice on choosing a resort. I don't want to stay anywhere too quiet (I know lots of places will have closed as it is the end of the summer season). I was thinking of santiago de la ribera as it is close to the airport, but I can't find much info on the area. Is it close to a larger town?is public transport good in the area?

thanks on advance

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: first time to murcia

Have a look at the Torrevieja forum. It's a large town with much more going on. Lots of shops, decent prom with good selection of restaurants and bars, and good bus service. There's a seafront market every night, and the town is very Spanish, but also popular with Brits. During Half Term it'll probably be quite busy.

A lot of people tend to knock Torrevieja as in the past it has been a bit run down, but over the last few years it has improved a lot and the seafront area is really nice now.

About a 40 min drive from SJ airport.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: first time to murcia

Thank you. I was thinking of Torrevieja, but the transfer from murcia MJV is very expensive. Will have a look at the forum to see how others are getting there from the airport. Thanks again.

San Cayetano, Spain
Level Contributor
131 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: first time to murcia

Hi Llamacalmer,

I am very interested in the evening market in Torreviega. I have not been to there yet. Could you please tell me a bit more about the market, like where is it exactly and are today open all year round? And what is the business hours? Many thanks in advance.

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: first time to murcia

Hi CornerLaluz - the market has been running for years along the prom near to where the fair is. It has recently been updated and instead of stalls there's a row of newly built wooden lockups which the traders use. During the summer some of the traders open up at midday every day, but out of season it tends to be afternoons/evenings at weekends, but the during the week they normally open later.

San Cayetano, Spain
Level Contributor
131 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: first time to murcia

Sounds great. We will definitely go there when we are in Spain next time. Thanks, Ilamacalmer.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: first time to murcia

Just to let you know I decided on la Ribera in the end. It was a good choice. I loved it! it was very spanish. The weather was fab (got back last night after 6 days in the sun) and it is so close to san javier airport. (I hope it doesn't close as rumours suggest) This place is a hidden gem. It isn't built up and touristy, unlike many other resorts. I thought Torrevieja was quite nice too, for a day trip. Los Alcozares was very, very quiet. La Ribera was quiet too, but busy at the bank holiday weekend with local people. The locals seem to eat out a lot too as all the restaurants along the sea front were always busy as were the tapas bars in the back streets of La Ribera. I have been all over spain, but never to this area before. Great place and I will be back!

San Cayetano, Spain
Level Contributor
131 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: first time to murcia

Thank you very much for the feedback. Glad to know that you liked la Ribera. I agree with you, la Ribera is a little gem. At the beginning, we always went to Los Alcazares or Lo Pagán, until someone told us we should visit Santiago la Ribera as well. Since then, everytime we are in Murcia, we go there at least once. We like the simple and relaxing atmosphere. Hopefully this atmosphere will always be kept.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: first time to murcia

I second that CornerLaluz. We always visit at least once during each trip. It is such a relaxing place.

19. Re: first time to murcia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Murcia