We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport and language barriers

Berkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport and language barriers

Hi

I'm going to Murcia in a couple of weeks with my partner and i've started wondering about our need for car hire. What's the public transport like there? Can you get buses to most touristy spots and do they run regularly? Also, neither of us speak spanish, is it worth buying a phrase book or will most locals speak english?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Alltea, Spain
Level Contributor
238 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport and language barriers

If you are visiting Murcia city, you will find that a few people speak some English, but generally it is not widely spoken.

You will have regular public transport (coach/train) to Alicante, but I am not sure of the services to coastal areas.

Where are you staying? I will then see what I can find out.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Alicante
Alicante
Costa Blanca, Spain
derby
Level Contributor
597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport and language barriers

I've no direct experience, but most of the bus services in and around Murcia city can be found at www.latbus.com/ . Look at the "mapa general" to find route numbers and then "horarios".

Note that the Murcia Airport bus (route 73) only runs three times a day!

For the route to Alicante, and some longer distance routes, go to www2.alsa.es/portal/index.asp?lang=en , which has a journey planner in English.

There are frequent trains from Murcia to Alicante, see /www.renfe.es/cercanias/murcia/index_horarios.html . Go back to the Renfe home page to search for other, infrequent services from Murcia.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Alicante
Alicante
Costa Blanca, Spain
3. Re: Public transport and language barriers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, September 04, 2009