We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

Hired a car from this company in the summer ,and having been " had " by other Spanish Car Hire companies I went there fully armed with my own additional insurance and a saviness about me .

The Staff tried to tell me i needed their insurance ,but i declined, and I told them that i would return the car with a full tank of fuel ,which i did .

My deposit was returned but i was not refunded for a "refueling charge" despite me refueling the vehicle for them .

In short , and despite emails to and fro , i have not been refunded the money, 25 Euros ,.

Unfortunately Car Hire at Murcia is very limited so i may have to use them again ,,,,,

But if you dont have to then i would suggest they are avoided

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
25 replies to this topic
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

I used centauro at Murcia last year and found them ok but having read these reviews will not do so this year but I have to say however that I have used Gold Car and Firefly in Spain and both of them did not refund me for the petrol deposit that theY take at the beginning in case you bring back not full even though I ticked the take full and return full box and made sure it was full on return, so I would say that most budget car hire fIrms do rip off customers to re coup some of the money. The additional insurance is another. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IM AFRAID.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
436 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

Just got home today and used Coys https://www.coysrent-a-car.com/

Brilliant. Met at the terminal, none of this fuel stuff people keep talking about, they charged me €20 for the half full tank and told me to bring it back "empty" which I didn't because it was so fuel efficient (Citroen C4 diesel) that I only put in €30 for a week of exploring and the gauge hardly moved! Cracking modern car with only 13,000 km on the clock and a lovely bloke. If people are having issues elsewhere I'd highly recommend.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

Used this company last year would use again. Hubby just reminded lady at the desk about his refund for fuel and she did it there and then said she was sorry. So it could be you need to remind them.

Coalville, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

I hired a car from Centauro via their web site. When I picked it up, their clerk at Murcia airport mislead me into believing that the insurance excess for a 3rd-party claim could be €3000 for our Group A car. This caused me to spend €105 on their Smart Insurance because this amount exceeded the excess covered by my independent annual car hire excess insurance. Reading their Terms & Conditions later, I saw that this advice was untrue and that the maximum excess would be €1050. I took this up via email with their Customer Services department, who were useless. As a result, I am very dissatisfied.

No complaints about the car or their bus service.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

Phil S

So that’s their latest ploy to empty your pocket is it ?

Sorry to hear that as I thought they were improving their game . I’ll be heading to Spain in April so I’ll be looking out for that little trick .

FYI if you hire from them again ( or any of them ) the last trick that was tried ( unsuccessfully) was not to sign the car back in when I returned it .

When the paperwork was handed to me I asked why it had been signed and was told “ it doesn’t need to be “ ...well long story short , I didn’t leave until it was signed as “ accepted back “ by the company

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

Just been mugged by them. Not only did they try to get us to pay for extra insurance but we were charge twice for the cost - once when booking and again when we arrived

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

I think you have confused their 'Full as is' policy with 'Full Full' rate. The first refunds a part of your fuel costs with no refund for fueling charge, the second refunds the whole amount if the car is returned full. The first deal is slightly cheaper than the second. I have used the second option many times and always had an immediate full refund. All companies try to sell their insurance, it is profitable for them but I always have my own insurance and have never had a problem with them because of it. This is easily the best and most reliable car hirers we have had in over fifteen years of hiring three times a year.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Centauro Car Hire Murcia Airport

Bradley - couple of points.

Reading things here and here I'm suspecting that Centauro at Murcia is slightly less agressive than might be found at Malaga for example - which I've just read about. We used them there a few years ago - when things were different I admit - and they hardly bothered to sign it in at all as the scratches didn't matter, exactly what we were told on pickup. (As indeed they don't, that is the normal wear and tear on a hire car as accepted by the likes of Avis and Hertz on their shiny cars).

So I've no doubt that. especially as a known regular, everything will be fine. As I speak Spanish (and have my own annual insurance) I've often found that when you seem to know exactly what you are doing you are scratched off the 'suckers' list. The 2 examples above both complain that they 'tried to sell me extra insurance'. Well of course they did as you say - Avis do the same, only in a way that just makes sure I know my excesses and am covered for them.

I'm suspecting that neither of the examples above had extra insurance at all. In which case the clerk would not be doing their duty if they didn't try and sell it. Another company (that which must not be named) has a habit of rolling it in anyway, without people even knowing they are getting it until they see the bill!

Fuel policies - San Javier is easy with a fuel station across the way there. There is a place for full-full, for full-empty and full-refund. As long as people understand the terms. We graduate toward Avis/Budget these days - they don't normally charge more than fuel price. And free of all the other nonsense

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
nottingham
Level Contributor
17 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply