We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

Rochester Hills...
1 post
Save Topic
American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

I was told that people in Salamanca do not have access to pancake mix, is that true? My son is staying with a host family and I wanted to send additional items. Is pancake mix available in Salamanca?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

There's an American shop in La Latina, so if they wanted it they could get it there.

They do have eggs and flour in Spain though to make it from scratch. ;)

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

I think this will be available in most big supermarkets. For sure in Mercadona (a big supermarket chain of which there are 3 in Salamanca), even of their own brand Hacendado. Look for "preparado para tortitas".

Otherwise he can do the mix for the pancakes himself from scratch, as all the elements (flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, butter, salt, sugar) are widely available everywhere.

What it is more rare to find in Salamanca are specific brands of soda or candy not easily available in Spain, or things that Spanish ppl dont eat or have ever heard about, like for example jerky

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

http://www.catalinagastrolounge.com/

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

You are more than likely correct there is no mixes available, I have to ask why when you can make them out of simple ingredients without additives and colorings which may not be so natural.

tortitasamericanas.com/ComoHacerTortitas/Com…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp83yY9P7y8

I think we would prefer traditional Filloas although originally from Galicia can be found all over Spain.

http://cocina.parcero.com/receta-de/filloas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KubO92g87Vw

I personally live these at a matanza with the blood of the animal. They are very sweet.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

"I was told that people in Salamanca DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO pancake mix" - you mean like people in Rochester Hills "do not have access to" packet mixes for making ersatz Spanish tortilla or paella?!

I doubt that either side feels deprived.

American expats in Europe can always make real versions of American dishes from real ingredients or order packet mixes from suppliers like myamericanmarket.com/us/cereal-breakfast-foo…

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

El Corte Ingles supermarkets often stock a range of international, including American products.

In any case, homemade are so much better, ingredients widely available, so why bother using packet mixes laden with sugar, salt, preservatives.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
610 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

Two things they probably don't have are cranberry sauce & mint jelly. If you're sending, they're too heavy, but if you're going one of each isn't too much to put into checked luggage.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
647 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

Peanut butter is hard to find too... And brownie mix. I know it's silly stuff to bring/ship to Spain when they have such awesome inventions such as jamon Serrano and churros con chocolate but I know where you're coming from. When I was on internship in Costa Rica my parents brought me with all kinds of crazy food stuff from back home when they visited. It was fun and I shared. Give a Spaniard a rib of celery slathered in peanut butter and watch their reaction. My friends there swore I was trying to poison them!

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

peanut butter hard to find? never. Problem is if someone has an allergy.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American food to take to Salamanca, Spain

moreover.... In Salamanca there is a VIPS Smart. VIPS is a nice shop/restaurant chain all over Spain that is famous for their milk-shakes and pancakes... So your son can even go there when he feels pancake consumption is needed...

Notice that pancakes (tortitas in Spanish) are mostly eaten as "merienda" (5 or 6pm meal, between lunch and dinner) and it is usually not a breakfast thing.

There are Spanish versions of pancakes (more like Spanish versions of crepes, really) as Casa_Santo_Estevo said, but they are difficult to find outside Galicia (other than in Madrid and maybe other big cities), and even more difficult in Salamanca.

Edited: 3:39 am, July 07, 2016