We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary advice

LA
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
itinerary advice

hello,

first time in spain, can you guys advise on the itinerary below? my concerns would be is it too hectic with train/travel times and logistics: I am open to suggestions:

From Santiago compostela after doing camino :

Mon-Ryanair flight from Santiago to Valencia. Any advice re Ryanair?

Tues- Valencia to Cordoba via renfe train 3 hours

Wed- Cordoba to Granada via 3 hour bus ride? This was the only travel accommodation I can find, there seems to be no train.

Thurs Granada to Seville- renfe train, 3.25 hrs

Saturday- Seville to Madrid via AVE, 2.25 hours

Sunday- depart MAD for LAX

Level Contributor
1,073 posts
413 reviews
1. Re: itinerary advice

Youll just scratch the surface especially in Madrid which is huge with so much to see and do.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
485 reviews
2. Re: itinerary advice

Well to start off, I quite like Ryanair. It's super cheap and no frills and they sell you stuff the whole ride and you pay for baggage or to be first in line and I still love them.

But if you've just finished the Camino you are going to be quite tired and also have had an important experience. You may not want to hop into a time of new city every day.

I think from Santiago I would fly to Granada. I'd do a couple days in Granada (go and book these tickets ahead of time because the morning tickets sell out to the cruise ships and hotels early). Then I would train to Seville for another couple days and then to Madrid for a couple days. Cutting out some of the places means a more leisurely pace and more time for reflection and for rest, which probably will be needed after the Camino.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,035 posts
292 reviews
3. Re: itinerary advice

This year I flew Ryanair from Santiago to Seville and would suggest doing this unless you really really wish to go to Valencia.

I don't know who flies to Granada from Santiago. In fact I doubt if any airline does that.

Santiago airport is quite large but sees few flights each day and Ryanair are a great budget airline. Just study the details and of course get your boarding pass printed off. I find that booking a seat means you can print it off early. (A little trick for them to earn a bit more I guess),.

Seville is a super city to enjoy and Granada as well.

The train schedules are released haphazardly. In this triangle I would certainly consider the ALSA bus. This summer and until perhaps Christmas or whenever there is no train into Granada because of new construction laying fast AVE lines into that city so RENFE Spanish rail will be busing passengers from Antequera Santa Ana station to Granada bus station. Depending on when you are going will determine the opening of the fast railway service into Granada. ALSA do some more expensive buses called Supra which are more comfortable and take similar time and cost similar to train.

So train times may not all be published yet and worth waiting a while.

if you do want to take in Valencia the fast AVE is under 2 hours to Madrid.

Edited: 1:30 pm, September 11, 2015
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: itinerary advice

I would say after the camino, stick to just two cities. Though it depends on what you most want to see, I would recommend Seville and Madrid. All of the places you listed were great and worth visiting, but you won't really get a feel for them if you are only in each city for a day or so. Each city is so rich in its own culture it might be a let down to only see such a small part of each one.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,874 posts
3,813 reviews
5. Re: itinerary advice

gogina:

You are trying to see too many cities, with only one day in each. I would just go to Madrid because there is much to see there.

6. Re: itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 15, 2016