We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a day in Madrid

Leicester, United...
11 posts
Advice on a day in Madrid

Hey guys.

I'm going to Madrid for the weekend on 31st January. On that day I'm going to see a Real Madrid game and on that night the plan is to walk around Gran Via and take it all in, and having some dinner.

For Sunday, I have from around 09:00 - 20:00 to take in some sights.

So far, after lots of research, I've found that the Royal Palace, Cathedral Almudena, Plaza Mayor, Plaza Cibeles, Parque Del Retiro, Santiago Bernabeu tour and lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe are the most important and MUST see things to do in Madrid.

The plan at the moment is to first go to the stadium tour, then head to the Hard Rock Cafe, then walk to Plaza Cibeles and Parque Del Retiro. From there head to Plaza Mayor, then walk to the Cathedral and the Royal Palace and walk back to the Hotel Atlantico.

The problem I'm having is that I'm not too sure how long to spend on each place (except the tour of Bernabeu which will be 2 hours approx). And also, is there any MUST SEE places to visit that I haven't got on my itinerary?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
485 reviews
1. Re: Advice on a day in Madrid

I don't entirely understand how the Hard Rock Café got on the must see list but if that does it for you, I am sure that the Native Americans who own them all will be thrilled to know! I'd add Madrid's incredible museums, the Prado primarily but perhaps that is not something of interest?

Leicester, United...
11 posts
2. Re: Advice on a day in Madrid

Hahaha! Well the Hard Rock Cafe is something that I always go to in every city that has one. Been to it in Barcelona and Miami so it's something of a must!

Not really interested in museums. Don't really know why but I think there's more entertaining things to see and go to so I've not considered them.

Aside from museums, does the list show the must see places?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
485 reviews
3. Re: Advice on a day in Madrid

If you're not using the full site, you're missing out on all the links that have been carefully put together. If it were me, I'd head to the Mercado Maravillas and just go and spend time there. But I am a huge fan of markets and I go them where ever I am (China, Latin America, the Caribbean, EU). I never tire of seeing what people eat and buy.

Otherwise I'd wander through neighborhoods: maybe Chueca, Malasaña, La Latina, just to get the feel of the city and stop and have a drink and a bite from time to time.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,964 posts
3,813 reviews
4. Re: Advice on a day in Madrid

Muzzy:

Go to Platea (Calle Goya, 5), a new gastronomic place. It has 20 restaurants and is open every day of the year.

Leicester, United...
11 posts
5. Re: Advice on a day in Madrid

I'll check that out. Thanks for the advice!

6. Re: Advice on a day in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 30, 2016