We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
250 reviews
A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

I would like to ask about possible "special" or "off the beaten path" places to visit from Madrid on a day trip. I know about all the usual recommendations such as Segovia, Salamanca, Avila, Toledo, El Escorial, Aranjuez, Alcala, etc.

Is there a relatively "unknown" place to visit near Madrid?. My interests are mainly: History, Art, Cuisine, Scenery, charming towns.

Any opinions and recommendation will be very much appreciated.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
1 review
1. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

Cuenca!

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
485 reviews
2. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

Cuenca was what I was thinking as well. Sigüenza and Chinchon also come to mind. Sigüenza has rather a beautiful castle.

St.Julians-Malta
Level Contributor
816 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

What I can say is that on our week in Madrid we only planned two days out one to Toledo and one to Segovia ..They were a lovely and enjoyable day outs

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
250 reviews
4. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

Thanks for all the recommendations. My wife and I will visit Cuenca on a day trip from Madrid. On another day we will visit El Escorial.

As a matter of fact, we just bought our train tickets (to Cuenca) on-line. This was a long and frustrating experience. Now I sympathize with all the postings I have seen regarding RENFE's website. After this long (4 hrs) frustrating RENFE experience, We will take a 2 day break, and we will try to buy other tickets later on.

Once again, Thanks for all your postings.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

The "unknown" place to most international visitors is Pedraza. You'd have to recent a car for the day to visit. It's still on my bucket list after all these year...Described as a beautiful walled medieval town.

euroresidentes.com/euroresiuk/…Pedraza.htm

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,935 posts
3,813 reviews
6. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

Friends:

I had a wonderful time when I visited Siquenza last year, and we had a wonderful meal there.

Jose:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c195966/Madri…

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
250 reviews
7. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

Benny Malaga;

Thanks for the link to Cuenca. As I mentioned before, my wife and I will re-visit this city in September. Now that there is a fast train it is easy to make Cuenca a day trip from Madrid.

Again, thanks to all of you for your recommendations.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
1 review
8. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

Things have convoluted. Sigüenza --not Siquenza-- and Cuenca are not the same place.

9. Re: A Special "Gem" close to Madrid for a day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 17, 2015