We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

metro ticket from airport

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ponte vedra
Level Contributor
340 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
metro ticket from airport

i went to metro website and read some other posts but need clarification

Can I buy the ten trip ticket at Barajas airport? We are arriving at Terminal 4

And I understand that there is an airport to city supplement of 3 euros.

There are 4 of us. Do I buy 4 supplements and the one ten trip ticket?

We may need two of the ten, but you understand my question.

Husband thinks we should buy the 7 day pass x 4 , but we arrive on Sat and leave on Sat. I think that is 8 days as i understand that it is not a 24 hour count, but rather first day of use is day 1.

HELP

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: metro ticket from airport

Hi ChrisMom,

How much is a 7 day pass, do you need a photo and where do you get it from? This would be ideal for us.

Thanks

Brian

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: metro ticket from airport

It's about 5 euro to get into town on the metro. If I were you, I would start using the pass on the second day you're in town (first full day), and take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. You'll be tired from the trip, and managing the metro with luggage might be more trouble than it's worth. The taxi is 30 euro (not sure about 4 people with luggage, maybe slightly more). The metro tickets will cost you 15-20 euro total, so not much savings IMO.

@fearless: No, you don't need a photo. The price for the 7 day pass is either 35 or 70 euro, depending on the type you get. I think you can get by with the cheaper one. I used this pass during a recent trip and worked out great as I used the metro a lot. Here's a link to that:

neoturismo.com/en/…transporte-en-madrid

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
531 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: metro ticket from airport

you can buy the 7 day pass at the larger stations for sure, Avenida de America, airport for sure. I stayed once at the Airport Hilton (end of line 5) and don't remember being able to buy a tourista card at that station....

Holden Beach, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: metro ticket from airport

We just got back from Madrid last week and took the metro into the Opera metro station to our accommodation. This was after traveling around spain for awhile, not right off the airplane. We took it back out a few days later to catch our plane. A one-way trip to that location from the airport was almost 6 euros. Once you get into Madrid the metro is supposed to cost 1.5 anywhere in zone A which is nearly all of downtown Madrid. We found it cost a few cents more than that the longer the ride. You can but a multi-trip pass and several people can use one pass; you just have to pass to the person behind you. You need to carefully weigh how many trips you'll need and distances. For example it is a little less than a mile from Plaza Mayor to the Prado and is easily walked depending on your route. We decided just to pay per ride rather than a pass. We considered one of those "omni" passes where you get metro, bus and museum fares all in on but then I saw it is good for one day! Really. How many museum will one visit in one day to make it worthwhile.

The ticket machines are very easy to use. Just pick your starting and ending metro station, number of tickets and it calculates the fair.

Watch out for pickpockets. I had one attempt to get into my pants but was foiled by my velcro pockets. This one was a female, late teens or early twenties, about 5 ft, skin hue about the same as our pickpocket-in-chief, and wore tennis shoes with pinkish shoe laces. I am guessing she had a handler because I noticed a guy who always seemed to be around her. Looked a little like Hugh Jackman's wolverine character but out-of-shape. She got right up behind me on an escalator. I looked at her and moved to the other side of the escalator with my luggage in between. When I moved I noticed the handler further up the escalator smirking as if he knew what was going on. When we got down to the metro platform she was couple of metro cars away next to the handler but quickly managed to enter the car right as I did right behind me. I didn't notice her. When my wife heard the velcro "rip" (I didn't), the perp quickly left the car, exit stage left. We were practically the only ones on the metro platform. Must have been a training exercise. Pays to be alert. If you are heading in from the airport watch out for people without luggage particularly during hours where you wouldn't expect employees to be leaving work at the airport.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: metro ticket from airport

We just returned from a trip to Spain flying in and out of Madrid. One can buy the 10 trip ticket from the ticket machines at the Aeropuerto T1-T2-T3 station. The airport supplement is included in the price of the ticket for that departure only. Because of that, the ticket can't be passed back to another person to get through the turnstile. Another ticket with the airport supplement has to be purchased.

Returning from the Anton Martin station to the Aeropuerto T1-T2-T3 station was €5. As one has to use their ticket at the airport station exit turnstile to exit, I assume the 10 trip ticket wouldn't work on the return to the airport as the additional supplement hadn't been paid.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,954 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: metro ticket from airport

You can buy the airport supplement separately.

Edited: 3:26 am, April 07, 2014
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: metro ticket from airport

The Metro Line 8 is connected to terminal T4. Line 8 also stops at terminals T1 T2 T3. I arrived at T4. I assumed that you can purchase tickets at T1 T2 T3 metro station. Line 8 takes you into the city. Depending on where you stay, you can interchange with other lines to get to your hotel.

At T4, after exiting luggage area, take the escalator down on the right side (look for the M metro signs).

Purchase ticket from the ticket machines. Easy to use, just select your language. You can buy Tourist tickets for 1, 2, 3, 5, or 7 days. Is good for trips from/to the airport and on any metro and local buses anytime.

I bought Tourist Zone A, 5 day pass E26.80. (as of May 2014)

Side note: The machine rejected my US issued credit card. It also rejected my debit card (I had used the same debit card just minutes earlier upstairs at an ATM to get cash. (By the way, ATM gives better conversation rates then cash exchange outlets). So I used cash to purchase the 5 day tourists pass. It turned out to be a good choice as I used the ticket many times to explore the city and back to the airport.

Do watch out for pickpockets. They are very very good, and they will get you at the times that you are not paying attention - when entering, exiting the train. Especially when it is crowded.

8. Re: metro ticket from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 28, 2015