We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is customer service like in Spain?

Sandbanks
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
What is customer service like in Spain?

I'm visiting Madrid soon and I just want to know if I go into a shop are the sales people as annoying as they are in America where they're over friendly and keen.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

You can sometimes find yourself begin completely ignored even if you want to purchase something!

But usually staff in departmental stores will approach you and ask only once if you want some help. they will never ask you how has your day been so far etc.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

customer service culture is different than in the USA, some people will say worse, some people will say better, depending on what you are used to and what you like.

But if your fear is being annoyed by an over-friendly waiter or a sales person as it is the case sometimes in the USA, fear not!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

Well, it's certainly better than my recent experience in Russia. Walked into a neighborhood book store. There were three different "divisions" in the store, each with an employee reading a book. I walked to the back of the store stocked with books for children. I picked up several since that was what interested me. None of the three employees looked up from their books nor did any approach me.

True, I was obviously a tourist, but to have not one try to entice me with a thing (book, toy) in their hand was unbelievable to me. Of course, I am not sure they would have in Spain either, but in Spain, at least I could have asked a question, and there would have been some interaction.probably not in El Corte Inglés, but this was a smaller store.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,131 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

Was this an actual question or just an opportunity to take a dig at Americans? I'm sorry you find our culture of friendliness to be annoying, but out of all the countries in the world, why would you think customer service in Spain would be the same as in the US? I just don't understand the comparisson.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
643 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

We found the sales people friendly and never annoying , they give you space to took and enjoy your shopping and are never far if you need assistance.

We were also surprised with the many shops that had English speaking staff and the ones that didn't, they just tried harder to help you and always with a smile.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,243 posts
3,764 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

Benjamin:

You will find all types of customer service in stores. If you go to the good stores the service will be very good and most stores have people who speak English.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

Just a small observation;

should I the customer from another country talk my polished best I can english, or do I best off with trying to talk some spanish.

As in Napoli, when I visited a charcuterie, the "staff" was not used to get any other than the local housewives, here I showed them wikipedia with the description of what I wanted. I was asking for pancetta, which I also will do in Madrid in a feew weeks, pancetta and pecorino, two most important basic ingredients I need at home for my amatriciana :-) You can also use guanciale (bacon), and the cheaper queso parmesano (cow), dont know if any of this is available in Madrid.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

yes, all available.

Pancetta in spanish is panceta, and it's pronnounced differently. Any butchery should have it.

Queso parmesano is avalaible in any cheese shop or in any supermarket, but pecorino will only be found in nice supermarkets. Bacon is called bacon in spanish, and it is also available in all supermarkets.

My advice would be to head to El Corte Ingles supermarket (several locations in the city center) and ask/look for those. They have a special section called "el rincon del gourmet" where you can find many foreign delicatessen, pecorino will be for sure in there. They will also have good pasta in that section (as opossed to "normal" pasta like barilla or gallo that you will find in a normal supermarket)

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

Whilst Bacon is Bacon in Spanish We also use the word Panceta. Yes it is almost the same spelling. This is more for cuts of meat. Bacon cane be found in packs and sliced.

ElCorte Ingles is expensive. An alternative idea is along the Calle Arenal you can find this shop: http://www.ferpalmadrid.com/ Just writing about it is making my mouth water.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What is customer service like in Spain?

Pasta.

I need to restock substantially.

Bucatini and penne rigate of course, but also the substantial paccheri and ziti, the spiralish fusilli bucati, the fettuccine and tagliatelle (smaller than f.).

All we can buy where I live is spaghetti and macaroni, maybe tagliatelle in some shops. So I need to grab the moment and restock when my fav. food is available :-)