We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November - here I come!!

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Topic
November - here I come!!

Sorry about that childish title.

I just got some extra money, thus enabling me to travel to Madrid and I have bought a KLM trip at Nov 19th to Nov 27th.

As a retired teacher at the age of 56 I could have traveled at any time from now on unitl xmas eve, these days were a good comprise between travel for the money and my dog Borga (someone must walk here while I am away..)

So, now I have to find a hotel, thats cheap but safe, how to get an "oyster" card on the metro and What To see.

I am not into any nightlife, I have had a kidney transplant, my aim is the remains of Emperors of Roome, Spanish food, the churches, Natural Museum, Nat, Arch Museum, The Palaces, Museuo del Prado, etc etc....

As a somewhat "experienced" traveler, just been to Venice, Istanbul, Rome, Barcelone, Paris and London, I like to think i know the basics :-)

But any nice advice would help alot when visiting a brand new metropolis.

As a Norwegian, I assume that bringing my winther clothing might be a good idea at this time of the year?

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November - here I come!!

As a Norweigan, your winter clothing will be more than sufficient for Spain in November! Expect temperatures in the single digits up to about 10° but nothing like what winter is like for you for sure! I would suggest you consider staying in the Plaza Santa Ana area, lots of reasonably priced hostales (privately owned small hotels for around 50€/night) to mid and high range hotels, but it's within walking to much of what you want to see, especially the museums without being in Sol where it's much louder at night. You'd be a quick walk to the Metro as well. Madrid does not have an Oyster Card like London, but you'd likely be fine with a simple 10 ride ticket which is reasonable (the Metro is still very inexpensive in Madrid) and easy to use over and over until the 10 are up. Take a look at the two popular hostales in that area: Hostal Gonzalo and Hostal Adriano and see if those fit your bill.

The links to the right are teeming with info on sites and the links for food will have great info on that. You can also search the forum for tapas crawls (Revulgo's advice is always top notch on that). La Latina has some of the best places to eat and is close to the Plaza Santa Ana.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November - here I come!!

I come from a Norwegian kind of state in WI, and I never take winter-winter clothes to Spain. It's just not that cold in comparison to Wisconsin

IMO, a winter coat/jacket is too much for the temperatures in Nov. We often are in Madrid in Jan. and I never wear a WI winter coat/jacket for those colder temperatures, and I don't like cold temperatures. A fall/spring jacket would be more appropriate. Dress in layers and be prepared for rain...even if it's just an umbrella.

The average maximum temperature in Madrid in November is 57°F/14°C and the average minimum temperature is 39°F/4°C.

In Oslo, n November, temperatures plummet to a low of -1°C (30°F) as snow begins to accumulate. It may be cold during this time, but the scenery is quite breath-taking. (IMO, that's not very cold).

Madison, WI The month of November is characterized by very rapidly falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs decreasing from 52°F to 36°F over the course of the month, exceeding 65°F or dropping below 24°F only one day in ten.

Also, I like Wombat's recommendation for hostals. We have stayed in both. Advantages/disadvantages.

Adriano has small refrigerator in room. Decor bright and cheerful...though small. Minus...bathrooms are very small. Gonzalo..rooms bigger. Disadvantages. no refrig. decor trad. Spanish ...see website for both.

3. Re: November - here I come!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:24 pm, July 10, 2013
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November - here I come!!

What Hola says is correct and I should have specified the temps I was giving you are in Celsius. It never occurred to me to say I was referring to C in those temps I quoted. She is completely correct to point out that a good sweater and light jacket would do you just fine most of the time. Even the winter we were living in Madrid when they had unseasonable cold, I never used a "real" winter jacket as my son called it, relying more on my fall coat (a rather lightweight coat) and a light wool or even cotton sweater most of the time.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November - here I come!!

Arild:

The National Archaeological Museum is still closed for renovation.

You should dress in layers. While the outside may be cold, many museums and stores are extremely warm and you need to remove your coat to be comfortable.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: November - here I come!!

Thank you so much for you kind answers!!

My planning process for aa new city, after have bought tickets, is to get me somewhere to sleep :-)

Including - safe, breakfast, wifi and close to airport bus, close to metro.

With your help, I am now looking at the Hostal Victoria I, at 315 euro for my 8 nights, it fits my budget well, it is close to Adriano I guess ?

I have not booked anything, just wanting your opinion on staying in the oldest of the Hostales Victoria in Madrid :-)

Edited: 2:21 am, July 03, 2013
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November - here I come!!

It's one I don't know. Anyone?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November - here I come!!

I looked at the reviews on TA, and it gets fine ones. The photos show a traditional place with the patina of time. Great location, San Jeronimo. I looked for complaints, and the most frequent is that no one speaks English, and that's a complaint?! It is on fourth floor, but there is an elevator. Money-saving rates in appears with a/c and small buy quiet rooms.

I would certainly give it a try. If you do, please review and/or share your reaction on this thread or the forum in general. The review is more permanent, but we are curious to know your opinion. Thank you.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: November - here I come!!

They dont have any meals or breakfast :-(

But every room has a fridge -- perhapse I might make my own breakfast ??

On the down side - the street outside looks like one of major bus roads in this city, this might be a problem?

As I am planning to leave the hotel at 9 in the morning, and not returning befor late, say 2200, this might be the perfect place for me, my concerns is of "will I geet a good night sleep" - as I am very light sleeper :-)

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November - here I come!!

Madrid tends to be a rather busy city and 2200 is not at all late for people there (actually it's dinner time). Consider some ear plugs as more or less every pharmacy sells them and they are handy almost anywhere you're likely to stay. Breakfast is rather a small meal in Spain: a roll and a coffee generally so it's not usually a problem if it's not included. Every bar pretty much will serve it. Jeronimo is a busy street but not more than others. The closer you get into Sol, however, the more traffic noise you do sustain. I think that is the draw to Hostal Gonzalo, although I never have stayed there. It's Alabastaron who is the expert on that particular place.