We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Madrid

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Topic
Crime in Madrid

I am getting freaked off when everyone telling me about crime esp pickpocketting there. Is the government there working hard to get rid of this problem ? It really affect the impression of first-timer like me on Spain. No doubt Spain is a unique and beautiful country, but something need to be done to make it a safe place esp for tourist like in Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madrid Expert
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Spain4You Tours
City Tours, Day Trips, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Madrid

Kenneth:

There is pickpocketing in the metro and crowded areas like the Puerta del Sol. If you have read the recommendations to be safe, you will not have a problem. No need to freak out. Madrid is a beautiful city and I love to go there at least twice a year. Plenty of things to see all the time.

Crime is lower in Madrid than other European capitals.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Madrid

As Benny said, actually Madrid (as most of Spain) has a lower crime rate than other European capitals. Pickpokets are a common problem in all touristy areas in the continent. This is not something easy to solve as you may think, and Europe is not Singapore (gladly, I would add, but we must not enter on politics here)

However, different from other cities/countries, violent crime is low in Spain. Your main concern should be crimes of opportunity, pickpockets, and these are sadly not exclusive of "the metro and crowded areas like the Puerta del Sol". Of course they take advantage of crowds, but all people I know that had their valuables picked in Madrid were NOT in the metro nor in the most obviuous tourist areas.

There are basic measures you should take to protect your valuables at any time, anywhere (again, in Madrid and in most of Europe).

I have lived in Madrid for a few years, visited a zillion times, walked at all times of day and night all over the place (women, alone many times), and not even once I felt threatened. This is not something I could say from many other cities, anywhere in the world. Just use your common sense and learn about the most common scams: forewarned is forearmed!

I see you have asked about safety of Cava Baja area in other thread: same as all the city, it is very safe, in the sense no one will jump at you with a knife. However, as anywhere else in the town centre, if you leave your valuables unnatended, or if you carry your wallet carelessly on your back pocket, or if you carry valuables in a backpack or any other place easy to reach... they may dissapear, most likely without you noticing and then wondering how it could happen. Just do not be an easy prey, and they will target others.

Odds are in your favour, a huge majority of visitors never suffer any crime in Madrid. Enjoy it.

Buen viaje!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Madrid

Safety Tips

The United States State Department has a good article about travel safety everywhere:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/s...

Spain is one of the safest European countries to visit. There is little serious crime. A visitor to Spain should know that there is some pickpocket theft in the metros of the big cities and in crowded places that are frequented by tourists.

At night you should not walk on a street where you are the only one. It is safe when there are many others on the street.

Use ATM machines in a bank and not the ones on sidewalks. This is to prevent youngsters from rushing to you in a group and grabbing the money as it comes out of the machine. Also some ATM machines on the street may have had their keyboards tampered with and will transmit your card number and code to someone who will try to empty your account. This is called card skimming.

Avoid women offering you a flower or rosemary. These women are Romany gypsies. They will want some money if you accept. Many are expert pickpockets.

Avoid young women who carry clipboards and ask for signatures for a good cause. They work in groups and while one is explaining something to you, the other may try to pick your pockets.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Madrid

Hi. Thanks for making me feel better.

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Madrid

Hi. Thanks for the invalueble advice.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
353 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in Madrid

Carry a cross body, dont' flash your cash or your smart phone. You'll be fine. There are a LOT of people in public areas which freak people out, but I generally felt safe.

NZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in Madrid

Hi we were in Madrid last year and loved it. We never had problems but kept our bags always in view. We were two females and were only treated with respect and felt safe walking around the place at night. We let our guard down in Lisbon Portugal though and had my purse stolen in a totally planned way. Just be careful. Theft may happen but we felt safe and grew to really love Madrid.

Edited: 3:40 pm, March 28, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in Madrid

Be careful casually putting a purse or wallet "down" while you look for something. The pickpockets are very good, and a move like that is a perfect opportunity for petty theft. BTW, I am not very careful in New York, Chicago or even Mexico like I am in Spain...Madrid and Barcelona, esp.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Spain
Spain
Europe
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
142 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in Madrid

Kenneth, I am visiting Madrid now and have had no problems at all. Really, no need to worry. I am from the USA and while I have seen homeless men here and also people holding cups out for money, they are harmless and do not bother you at all. In fact, my home town back home has WAY,WAY more homeless people and crime and Violent crime is rampant. You will be fine here I am sure. I have been walking around by myself even after dark and I am a female. Don't worry, come here, I'm sure you will love it!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in Madrid

Madrd is a beautiful, vibrant city and I have never felt safer. I am quite timid but my husband and I happily roam the streets and have never stumble upon anywhere we don't feel safe. We go once a year usually march/may/September time so off peak but still bustling and vibrant. So much so that we are returning in march with our one year old. As with any city, keep you valuables close, don't get drawn in by street performers etc and just keep your wits about you, if you ever feel uneasy...move on! Enjoy :-)