We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palacio De Vistalegre

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Palacio De Vistalegre

Hi - I am visiting Madrid for 3-4 nights in November to attend a concert at the Palacio De Vistalegre.

I have never been to Madrid before and have zero knowledge about the area. Is the area around this venue safe? I am not sure where to book a hotel. We would like to be in a good location for walking around during the day and would prefer if there were restaurants / bars to walk to from our hotel in the evening.

Thanks for any help :)

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

it is safe but far away from everything. I would stay in a hotel in the city center close to the metro line 5, which will take you directly to Palacio de Vistaalegre. In line 5 I like the area around Alonso Martinez or Chueca metro stations.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

It is is as safe as any other large city in the first world. Be cautious above all with so many people around (a concert). And I second the previous reply. Vista Alegre is near Carabanchel and hence far away from the city centre. i would stay in a city hotel and go there just for the concert and back., There is nothing else you want to see around there. Really.

Enjoy :)

Edited: 2:55 pm, March 15, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

Thank you both for the info, any tips on the best areas in the city centre with lots to do in walking distance?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,524 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

Ariana:

You could get a hotel on the Gran Via or Plaza Santa Ana. The best area is the Barrio Salamanca, the upscale district (hotels are more expensive here).

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

You have the Vista Alegre metro station 3 blocks from the Palacio de Vista Alegre. This area of Madrid, Carabanchel, is blue-collar, working class. It's very safe, but not particularly nice. It's just an average, working-class neighborhood with really nothing to see apart from the stadium. There are lots of bars, restaurants and even a few hotels and "hostales".

The Madrid metro runs until 1:30am so you should be able to watch the concert and return to your hotel/hostal/apartment in the Old City center without any problem, even if the concert runs late - and sometimes they do.

The best areas to stay in Madrid are around the Plaza de Isabel II (a.k.a. "Opera"), Plaza Santa Ana/Huertas neighborhood, or even near the Puerta del Sol. These are lively areas, very well lighted, and lots of foot traffic at all hours.

Enjoy the concert and your visit to Madrid!

Saludos, "MadridMan" <= American Expatriate in Madrid

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

Thank you MadridMan, American expat here in the UK. Great info and we are looking forward to exploring the city. I will concentrate on the areas you list for hotels.

Malaga, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

Hi ArianaR,

I too am going to a concert in March, can you let me know where you stayed and how you found it.

Thank you for your help.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,841 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

The "Palacio de Vistalegre" is located in a workers neighborhood, a dormitory quarter, nothing interesting around. I'd book a hotel nearby one stop of Metro line # 5 (green line) which reaches the Palacio de Vistalegre. My suggestion is Hotel Puerta de Toledo, it is quite convenient for the Palacio and the buzz of downtown Madrid.

http://en.hotelpuertadetoledo.com/#

Edited: 10:42 am, December 12, 2013
Malaga, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

Thank you I will have a look :)

10. Re: Palacio De Vistalegre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 14, 2014