We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Theft in Madrid?

cozmykgirl
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Street Theft in Madrid?

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Madrid in May and was wondering if it's generally safe to have your camera out and about in the city. Has anyone had a bad experience with petty theft and in particular, cameras? Thank you for the advice!

Diane

Edited: 3:26 am, March 14, 2013
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

it is generally safe. Act as you would in any big city.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

Well if you mean if you will be robbed at gun point for taking your camera with you then well no, not at all. Now if you leave your camera unattended you might lose it, just as it would most likely happen everywhere else.

Edited: 5:17 am, March 14, 2013
scotland
Level Contributor
16,290 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

I'd say also its a very safe city

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

coz:

Use a bag that has a strap that crosses your chest, that cannot be easily taken away from you. At restaurants, especially sidewalk cafes, keep your bag on your lap and do not leave your mobile phone on the table unattended.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

Any problems you have will likely be when you are trying to do two things at once, like fiddling about with the focus and the exposure, etc, and leaving your handbag on a nearby chair or otherwise exposed. The most important point in avoiding opportunistic street theft - which is a danger in all big cities - is not ever to let your attention be distracted. So keep a firm grip on your other valuables - as Benny suggests, a cross-body bag is good.

When you spot a photo opportunity, take the camera out of its case to take the photo, don't take too long over it, and put it straight back in.

I assume you're talking about a small digital camera. If you have a larger SLR, or obvously expensive professional equipment, and a big bag with lots of lenses, clearly you'll have to be still more vigilant.

Although I'm not a suspicious person by nature, there's one thing I'm a little wary of, whatever city I'm travelling in: that is, anyone who offers to take my photo, unasked, in front of some tourist attraction. I always say no thanks (not brusquely as the offer could be kindly meant) since putting my camera into a stranger's hands could mean goodbye camera.

I do always say yes to people who ask me to take their photo, but wonder sometimes why they are so trusting.

Edited: 8:03 am, March 14, 2013
cozmykgirl
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

Thank you all so much for the advice! Truly helpful. I do have larger DSLR camera and will need to think carefully about how I use it on the street.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

Hi!

We are talking about Madrid, not some back-water town :) Madrid is as safe as any first world large city. If you are in the middle of large crowds of people with many tourists, like anywhere else pickpockets will be around. So be AWARE, like you would in New York, Paris, London or Rome. Great city, Madrid, by the way.

Enjoy!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

I'm glad I've stumbled upon this topic. We will be in Madrid in May, in and out of Metros, long distance buses and trains...I wondered how I can protect my photo gear. Last Christmas I acquired my first DLSR with a 3-in-1 lens (quite expensive) and I'm taking it with me on the trip. It concerns me how to be vigilant and protective of it---I'm an avid photographer (but not pro) and usually I take thousands of shots while on a trip. It will be quite inconvenient to put it back in the bag every so often; I just want it draped over my neck most of the time.

Your thoughts please, Alabastron and all? Thanks.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

Beenthere:

If you have it draped around your neck,no one will try to steal it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,246 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street Theft in Madrid?

Pickpockets do not draw attention to themselves by grabbing a camera that is hanging round someone's neck. They are more likely to very quietly remove a camera from a bag while the owner is distracted.