We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

Bristol
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

Hi

My wife and I are visiting central and northern Spain for 2 weeks in July an would like some advice on our itinerary. We are in our 50's but are very active. We like to see cities but do not want a long time in one. We enjoy outdoor life and enjoy walking, cycling and horse riding. We are also foodies and wine lovers and want to experience and taste the real Spain. We came up with this holiday after watching Rick Stein travelling around Spain and want visit some of the places he went to. We have a rough itinerary, but would welcome any suggestions. Our plan is:-

Madrid for 2 nights ( holiday inn Madrid).

Toledo for 2 nights ( Hilton Buenavista).

Salamanca ( not sure how long/ where to stay, is it much different from Madrid and Toledo?).

Oviedo( not sure how long/ where to stay.

San Sebastián( not sure how long/ wher to stay

Back to Madrid for flight home

Woul be very grateful for any advice on places to visit along our route, places to stay and for how long, and things to see and do.

Thanks

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

Comments on hotels. Holiday Inn Madrid is too far from historic center in my mind. Unless you have some points to use or want to spend time at Estadio Bernabeu, which is nearby, I would change plans for a more central location.. (Barrio de Santa Ana/Huertas, etc.)

I would suggest staying one night in Toledo..but two days. It's only 1/2 hour from Madrid in high speed AVE rail from ATocha, a RR station nearer the historic center than Holiday Inn area. That would have three or four nights in Madrid in the same hotel. (less packing/unpacking)

I would also recommend Segovia which is history light where as Toledo is history heavy. Read "Day Trips on right hand side of page under "Top Questions" FYI, the main sites to see in Segovia are: 2,000 year old Roman aqueduct, real-life castle, and cathedral plus delicious meal of lamb or suckling pig. It you're into hiking I would consider hiking to find the postcard view of the castle. You can't see it from the city...must go to the park below.

Congratulations on thinking outside the tourist trail by choosing Oviedo. You can go by train or car. We are partial to train, but it's your choice.

Reconquista Hotel is THE hotel where Javier Bardem stayed in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Although ths is true.

"The inimitable Woody Allen, an ardent admirer of Asturias, Spain and a frequent visitor to Oviedo, chose the northern city's leading hotel as the location for some of the scenes of his romantic drama Vicky Cristina Barcelona.." To me it does seem like tryst spot , but a very regal hotel.

It's also right in the thick of the city where you can stroll among the statues and even see the one of Woody Allen..usually minus the glasses that someone has robbed. Also see the traditional pharmacy and bakery seen in the movie. Other hotels near the RR station are: the Marriott and Tryp Oviedo, which have more reasonable prices, BUT I don't know when you are going. Summer is the busier season in the north.

I would rent a car for the northern part and explore the preromantic (small) churches outside the town. Drive to Fuente De and take the fenicular to the top. Will be chilly and probably windy there. Also visit Gijon on the Bay of Biscay. Lots of places to hike in the area. I would split the trip 5 days in Madrid area and 5 days in the north

Judging from your description, I think you would enjoy a longer city stay (Madrid w/ trips to Toledo and Segovia) and then more exploring in the region of Oviedo-Gijon-Fuente De-Cangas de Onis, etc. then on to San Sebastian.

I would leave San Sebastian for someone else.

Mentioned in this post
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

This looks like a decent site.

http://www.asturiasguide.com/Walking.html

BTW, Asturias is the dairyland of Spain. Great cheeses (queso de Cabrales). Not the climate for wine, the area harvests apples for its famous sidra served in a traditional and unique way.

https://www.google.com/search…

Forgot to mention Picos de Europa.

Edited: 5:56 pm, February 22, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

And Covadonga...historic and picturesque

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice

Terry:

If you drive from Oviedo to San Sebastian, you can see Cangas de Onis, a beautiful little town.

If you go to San Sebastian, be sure to make hotel reservations early. July is peak season in San Sebastian and they do not have that many good hotels.

5. Re: Itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 24, 2014