We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying in and catching a train the same afternoon

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flying in and catching a train the same afternoon

My daughter arrives at the airport at 12:45 pm on Sat 9 March & then we want to take a train to Seville the same afternoon. I really want to book the train tickets soon. I am trying to get a "rough" guess on what train I should book. 2pm? 3pm? 4pm?

Obviously she has to clear customs and get herself to the train station(via taxi or train?) and no one can possibly tell me for sure how long that will take but please how about someone giving me an "educated" guess.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying in and catching a train the same afternoon

I wouldn't book a train earlier than 4 pm just to be safe and sure you can make it to Atocha.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying in and catching a train the same afternoon

She definitely won't make the 2-00pm, but the 3-00pm should be OK, providing the plane is not delayed. Personally I would book the 4-00pm, that gives her plenty of time, and helps to relax and have a snack at the train station.

Edited: 1:36 pm, January 20, 2013
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying in and catching a train the same afternoon

I agree with both Cathy and pavoreal - take a train from 4 pm onwards.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying in and catching a train the same afternoon

Have lunch and then take the 4pm.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,131 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying in and catching a train the same afternoon

Tnelson:

Advice to transatlantic travelers who want to take the AVE on the same day of arrival to Barcelona, Cordoba, Seville, or Malaga: Leave enough time to get to your train, otherwise you lose your money because there are no refunds. There are many flight arrival delays because of bad weather. Here are some estimates of how much time should be allotted:

Flight delay at arrival: 2 hours (this is very common).

Time to get through immigration, baggage, and customs: 1.5 hours

Taxi to Atocha Station: 0.5 hour

Time to go through security, find train platform, ticket check: 0.5 hour

Total time: 4.5 hours

If one wants to avoid all this uncertainty, stay overnight in Madrid.

If you arrive at Atocha two or three hours before your booked train leaves, check the electronic board and see if there is an earlier train going to your destination. If there is, go to the ticket office and ask for a change to the earlier train, which you can get for free.

6. Re: Flying in and catching a train the same afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 22, 2014