We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour layover in Madrid

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
14 posts
Save Topic
8 hour layover in Madrid

Due to some recent flight changes I have a 8 hour layover in Madrid. At first I was frustrated by this change but now I am excited! I am a true foodie and culinary professional and this will be my first trip to Europe. Can anyone reccommend some activities to fill my time. Please keep in mind travel time too and from the airport. I want to see as much as I can but I am nervous to go too far from the airport.. I would love some recommendations for Tapas. We ( my boyfriend & I,' both late 20's) arrive at 9am and leave at 4.50 pm in the middle of March. After this stop we will fly to Italy for 5 city tour so budget friendly options will be appreciated.

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour layover in Madrid

Hi Jess! Consider visiting this:

www.esmadrid.com/en/portal.do…

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour layover in Madrid

leave the luggages (if not checked in directly to Italy) in Madrid's airport lockers. Take Cercanias train C-1 from Terminal 4 until Nuevos Ministerios. Change there to C-3 or C-4 till Sol.

When in Sol take a walk in Plaza Mayor and around, then go to Mercado de San Miguel. You can then take a walk to Retiro Park. Take back the C-1 line in Recoletos (Plaza Colon) and back to the airport.

C-1 line takes around 30 mins to the airport

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour layover in Madrid

I agree with Myscreen about checking your luggage through or leaving it stored securely the airport.

I second the suggestion for Mercado de San Miguel where you can enjoy a wide selection of tapas, wines and sherry to enjoy. As you are foodies, I also suggest you sample some chocolate con churros at San Gines. For the remaining time, I suggest you stroll around Plaza Mayor and surrounding streets and just soak up the atmosphere.

4. Re: 8 hour layover in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 18, 2013