We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Topic
El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

Where: Palacio de Cibeles (Plaza de Cibeles, 1)

When: Nov. 30 to March 13

What: The exhibition is about the artwork of the House of Alba. Some of the best art that has decorated some of the palaces of the Duchess of Alba will be shown.

abc.es/20120914/…abci-alba-201209141248.html

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

Current and upcoming events in Madrid

http://goo.gl/maps/B2DVB

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

The curator of this exhibition is Pablo Melendo. He would like to have exhibitions in the future of the art of the other great noble families of Spain, namely the Medina Sidonia, Santa Cruz, Osuna and Infantado.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

The priceless Alba repository at Palacio de Cibeles? A gargantuan 'event' to be sure- from one of Europe's greatest art capitals ... Fra Angelico lovers should rejoice, with the Tuscan master's rarely exhibited 'Madonna della Melagrana' finding public space it so richly deserves. A triumvirate of unequalled artistic worth? The other two constituent parts belonging to Madrid's legendary 'Annunciation Altarpiece' at the Prado and the 'Madonna di Umilita' star- turn from Barcelona's MNAC

PS Benny, thanks for the informative link!

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

Glad to know it!! Thanks, Benny.

And yes, Darius, this is great news for Fra Angelico and art lovers, in general.

For the tickets:

www.ticketea.com/entradas-legado-casa-alba

Chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

I don't know how I will find time for all these wonderful exhibits that TripAdvisor members are posting!

Does anyone have a sense of whether it is necessary to purchase tickets to this exhibit in advance?

Thanks!

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

Depending on the date of your visit. I will surely do it if I was to visit the exhibition at Christmas or weekends.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

I enjoyed seeing the exhibition at the Palacio de Cibeles that was called El Legado Casa de Alba and it showed many of the treasures owned by the present Duchess of Alba, many coming from her different palaces, the main ones being the Palacio de Liria in Madrid and the Palacio de Monterrey in Salamanca.

An impressive work of art was the Virgin of the Pomegranate by Fra Angelico. A famous portrait was the Duchess of Alba Dressed in White, painted by Goya. Winterhalter painted Eugenia de Montijo, the wife of Napoleon III. Another beautiful portrait was Goya’s La Marquesa de Lazan.

Zuloaga had three good paintings. The first was the portrait of Jacobo Fitz-James Stuart, the 17th Duke of Alba. The second was the portrait of Maria del Rosario de Silva y Gurtubay. The third was the portrait of Cayetana, the 18th Duchess of Alba on Horseback.

Mariano Benlliure created the bust of the 17th Duke of Alba. Lastly there was Chagall’s Vase in Front of the Window, a great painting.

You can buy tickets online:

www.ticketea.com/entradas-legado-casa-alba

When I went there was a very long line of people who wanted to buy tickets. You can evade the queue by buying online.

The bookstore has many interesting items one can buy.

Chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

I second the recommendations for the exhibit. The Palacio building itself is also quite impressive. As well as the Casa de Alba exhibit, there is a free exhibit of an incredible Neapolitan crèche. We entered the Casa de Alba exhibit with no wait in line for tickets (on a weekday mid-afternoon), but waited 15 - 20 minutes for the Belen exhibit. I suspect that lines are quite variable for these showings.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

Friends:

A recent newspaper article says that the 350 pieces on exhibition are insured for 1 billion euros!

10. Re: El Legado Casa de Alba Exhibition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 09, 2014