We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

We are coming to Madrid for a week next May and do not know where would be the best area to stay. we are late 60's and I have a back problem so cannot walk for miles and miles unless I can sit in between. Fairly central to the city I would think but really need help. we will be arriving by train from Barcelona. When in Barcelona we actually had an apartment which was super but too far out of the city. Any advice please

Thank you

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Seafarer: can you tell us a little more about the type of things you enjoy seeing and doing? Are you interested in art and museums? Do you prefer being right in centre of things or prefer somewhere quieter, but within easy access of the sights etc. Some of the very central areas in Madrid can be quite noisy.

A good way of seeing the city and cutting down on walking is to take the hop on hop off tourist bus. You just get off and explore the areas which most appeal, before hopping back on to explore further at your own pace.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

Thank you Flora D for your reply. we do like art and museums but do like a lot of walking among the local streets and sampling local food etc. we usually do the on/off buses but as yet I have not done any research as we have only just decided to do madrid. We do not mind not being in the jheart of things if it is easy to get on buses etc. In Barcelona we had to walk miles to get to the metro and then it was a way into the city. We love markets and quant shops...not upmarket dept. or designer shops. Love pottery etc. We have been to a few other Spanish towns and spent a lot of time in Coin, near Malaga as my brother lives there. He does not know Madrid so I cannot ask his help.

We are mature age with slight mobility problems but nothing that a sit down and coffee would not remedy!!!

Thanks again

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

seafarer:

I usually stay in the Salamanca barrio because it is quiet and upscale. Nearby Call Serrano is the Fifth Avenue of Madrid with many shops. Security is the best and even walking at all hours of the night one feels safe.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

I don't think Salamanca will be what you want if you want something centrally located. It will involve a commute which you did not enjoy in Barcelona. I would recommend something near to Sol which is the most connected of the train stations and is steps to the Plaza Mayor. It's also an easy amble to the Plaza Santa Ana (with plenty of coffee stops on the way) if you prefer to stay in and around Santa Ana and head into Sol for the transport.

Check out the link to the right on the Barrios of Madrid. It may help. The areas near Sol and Plaza Santa Ana tend to be the most popular for strolling, eating and location to sites.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

Thank you very much for your help. It is hard when you have no idea of what there is and this TA is fantastic

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

I agree with Wombat about the Sol area and also suggest La Latina area, but do select your hotels carefully as both areas can get quite noisy. Sol is also a stop for the HOHO bus and at Sol you have the metro and Cercanias (local commuter train)

Whilst I would not describe Salamanca as a commute - it really is not that far off the centre - I don't think it is for you as you would need to take the metro for about 3 or 4 stops (I think the walk for you would be too much) You are not interested in designer stores - in Salamanca you would be surrounded by them! Whereas around La Latina you will have quaint streets to explore and more mainstream shops around Sol.

Do pop into San Gines for some chocolate and churros - not to be missed. There are also lots of nice bars and cafes for you to stop at when you need to take a rest - and a great excuse to sample all of the lovely things they have to offer!

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

Thanks again. will do my homework

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

Salamanca barrio is a huge neighbourhood. In fact, some parts are next to Madrid's downtown.

A part of it has a lot of luxury shops and in other parts ('Palacio de los Deportes' surroundings) the hastle and bustle of city can be lived and felt.

Of course I find it as perfect as other parts to stay and visit the city.

Some facts can be found here:

http://www.descubremadrid.com/dm/en_US/p/guias|..|turismoMadrid|guiaonline|buscadorGuiasUrbanas|/idP/206/idM/178/

http://www.barriodesalamanca.com/

Edited: 6:31 am, October 23, 2012
ek
San Carlos, Ca.
Level Contributor
868 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay

I am staying at Hotel Preciados right now and it is lovely. Largest room I have had in Europe with a sitting area and fabulous bathroom with jacuzzi tub. My room overlooks two streets but is completely quiet at night due to double windows with electronic shutters that close out noise and light. Slept 10 hours laast night after a very long trip from California. Very close walking distance to Gran Via, Puerto de Sol and the Grand Palace. Highly reocmmend this area so far and this Hotel definitely

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,374 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay

Seafarer, check out the Artrip hotel. Its quite central and close to Atocha train station and Lavapies underground. I have stayed there recently and can recommend it.

Have a look at hotel website and reviews on tripadvisor.